Thursday, January 10, 2019

After the Fire - ATF (1982)


Released: August 1982 (Epic)
Produced by: Mack, John Eden, ATF, Muff Winwood.
Peak on the US Billboard 200: #25

Side One Side Two
Laser Love
One Rule for You
Dancing in the Shadows
Sometimes
Sailing Ship
Carry Home
Frozen Rivers
Love Will Always Make You Cry
Starflight
Der Kommissar
1980-F





This is the US release of songs compiled from this UK band's previous three albums: Laser Love (1979), 80-f (1980), and Batteries Not Included (1982) and one new release. The compilation was meant to break the band in the US and might have gone unnoticed if it hadn't been for the top five hit "Der Kommissar," the aforementioned new release. That hit earned the band a place on the recently compiled 'Official' list of MFD One-Hit Wonders 1976-85.

My high school buddy Jim hipped me to this album in the fall or winter of 1982. He bought the record, played it for me, I was immediately hooked by the lead track, and promptly dubbed myself a copy and subjected to riders in my car to said copy. Many years later, I picked up a 1998 greatest hits CD with a few different tracks, then once I reacquired a turntable, finally purchased my own vinyl copy. I think the tunes are catchy as hell, but at this point I don't know if that's actually true or if nostalgia has simply gotten the better of me. In any case, I still enjoy listening to it. Plus, I had heard of the band before "Der Kommissar" hit big in March-April 1983, which meant I got to be a know-it-all pompous ass at school that spring (not that I normally needed such an excuse). To me, the music comes off as a cross between The Fixx and Bruce Woolley and The Camera Club.

The band opened some dates for Van Halen on their 1982 tour. Exposure is exposure but I can't imagine the VH fans' reactions to "Der Kommissar." Being booed off the stage every night has got to take a toll, right? But if the Van Halen backstage stories are true, I doubt they remember much about the tour.





  • Laser Love, from the album Laser Love: Lame lyrics and sound effects, but hooks for days. In 1979, it peaked at #62 on the UK charts. 
  • One Rule For You, from the album Laser Love: Mid-tempo the verse and chorus are just okay, but the intro keyboard riff and the bridge make it all better. The band's highest charting single in the UK, this peaked at #40 in the fall of 1979.
  • Dancing in the Shadows, from the album Batteries Not Included: is that an attempt at synth-reggae? I guess it is, but its also got some great melodies/ harmonies along with a fun synth solo. This tune was released as a single in the US, managing only a #85 peak position. 
  • Sometimes, from the album Batteries Not Included: driving power pop tune with another great synth solo. Three minutes and out.
  • Sailing Ship, from the album Batteries Not Included: synth-drenched ballad that i smoody enough to fit its own title. The harmonies on this one are reminding more than a little of Styx, oddly enough.
  • Carry Me Home, from the album Batteries Not Included: love the chord progression on the chorus on this one.

  • Frozen Rivers, from the album Batteries Not Included: another great synth riff to lead off a song that is otherwise unremarkable.
  • Love Will Always Make You Cry, from the album 80-f: they tone down the synths a bit on this one, add some great melodies and come up with a better than average New Wave pop tune.
  • Starflight, from the album 80-f: this instrumental starts off like soundtrack music, then adds a backbeat and completely spoils the mood.
  • Der Kommissar: never liked it from the get-go, but it hit #5 in the US, #47 in the UK.
  • 1980-F, from the album 80-f: A high energy instrumental - great way to end an album.

  1. Laser Love
  2. 1980-F
  3. Love Will Always Make You Cry
  4. Dancing in the Shadows
  5. Carry Me Home
  6. Sometimes
  7. One Rule for You
  8. Sailing Ship
  9. Frozen Rivers
  10. Der Kommissar



1 comment :

  1. Mark, it definitely might be nostalgia that elevates these songs/this album for you. But that's okay. We all do that. The importance of music is what it means "to us" and secondly, can we find others who share that same meaning. By the way, I only knew their hit - which I actually was quite fond of. I will give the rest a listen based on your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete