Monday, January 7, 2019

MFD Random Five #40


In which I click the shuffle icon on the iTunes app and listen to the first five songs that pop up from the year 1979.


  1. "Dim All the Lights" by Donna Summer (1979, Casablanca)
    A familiar trope from Donna: start half time then get up to disco speed about 45-60 seconds in. But it don't bother me a bit. In fact, this was written by Donna herself, so you can't blame her for basing her form on previous hits. If it ain't broke and whatnot. Love the descending bass line in the B section. A #2 pop hit in November '79.

  2. "Boogie Wonderland" by Earth, Wind & Fire with The Emotions (1979, ARC/Columbia)
    OOOOOH, YEAH! making me feel so good this morning. I just checked my list of top 5 EWF songs and somehow this didn't make the cut. That seems unreal as I listen now, but they produced that much good music.


    Ask yourself: "Should I listen to more Earth, Wind & Fire?"  Inevitably, the answer is yes.

  3. "Too Much Too Young" by The Specials (1979, 2Tone)
    One of the stand-out tracks from a fantastic debut album. I like ska in small doses so when a great track such as this shuffles around, it's perfect. Was I listening to this in '79? Nope, but I caught up a few years later.

  4. "Cars" by Gary Numan (1979, Beggars Banquet)
    A groundbreaking classic - when this hit the radio, it was like nothing I'd heard before. Does it sound dated?  Absolutely.  Does it matter?  Not in the least. I've read that Numan himself isn't overly fond of the tune, but I would imagine he's become fond of the royalties.

  5. "A Warm Summer Night" by Chic  (1979, Atlantic)
    Not quite a slow jam, this laid-back, soothing, sexy tune provides a brief reprise between disco classics "Good Times" and "My Feet Keep Dancing" on side one of the Risqué album, exhibit A in the case against those who suggest that there was little substance to disco music (according to the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, p. 434)

No comments :

Post a Comment