Tuesday, January 15, 2019

MFD Not-So-Random Five #12


In which I select five songs from 1976-1985 based on an arbitrary theme. (Not to be confused with this blog's Random Five feature, a different exercise in arbitrariness). Today's theme: songs that include the word "snow" in the title.


  1. "I Sit in the Snow" by Andy Partridge (1980, Virgin)
    This cut is an experimental reconstruction of XTC music that I'll just call "interesting" and leave it at that. But I'll be doggone if it doesn't kinda grow on you by the end.

  2. "Snowbird Fantasy" by Bob James (1980, Tappan Zee)
    The lead track from James' "H" album, it starts off in a New Age vein, but eventually settles into a Latin-flavored groove with a mess of horn licks. Reminds me Earl Klugh's stuff from that time period, except the acoustic guitar solo comes from Bruce Dunlap. It's about 90 seconds too long, but I can't say I don't like it.

  3. "Rider in the Snow" by The Cult (1984, Beggar's Banquet)
    A deep cut from the group's debut album. Not fully formed with their own thing, we're nonetheless treated to the characteristic sounds of Ian Asbury's voice and Billy Duffy's guitar doing it's best U2 imitation. The lyrics are shite.  

  4. "Snowblind" by Styx (1981, A&M)
    One of the edgier cuts on Paradise Theater, this tune about cocaine addiction gives us a tasty guitar solo from James Young. As a 14 year old knucklehead in 1981, I didn't know from cocaine and thought this song was about actual snow blindness (photokeratitis), so there ya go.

  5. "Snow Girl" by Haircut 100 (1982, Arista)
    Fantastic track from one of my all-time favorite albums, Pelican West. Nick Heyward writes one in the vein of the early Beatles. I could listen to this feelgood tune all day long and just might.


No comments :

Post a Comment