Monday, November 4, 2019

MFD Random Five #46


In which I shuffle through some music files and listen to the first five songs from the years 1976-85 that randomly pop up.


  1. "9 to 5" by Dolly Parton (1980, RCA)
    I didn't buy the single, but I'll sing along with the thing. It was all over the radio stations I listened to during the winter of 1981. #1 pop, #1 adult contemporary, #1 country - I'll bet I'm not the only one who can sing along with it. As I pay less attention to Dolly and more to the band this listen, I'm impressed with how great the piano and horn parts are. Tight band with members of the Wrecking Crew and other session greats.

    [Note: the next song to shuffle around was David Bowie's "Always Crashing in the Same Car" which previously appeared on Random Five #24.]

  2. "The Hurt" by Any Trouble (1980, Stiff)
    New wave power-pop that's so catchy I'm upset I didn't listen to this in 1980. I'm also surprised the group didn't gain traction on the heels of The Knack. Maybe the group were a year or so ahead of their time? I can't imagine them not hitting the US Top 40 in 1982.

  3. "I Don't Wanna Lose Your Love" by The Emotions (1976, Columiba)
    Sultry vocals atop a steamin' EWF groove. And I love what Verdine White does with the bass on this one. And the Phenix Horns are immediately recognizable. And the a capella breakdown - have mercy. And the fact that I need to do a deep dive into the trio's catalog.

  4. "What's Your Best Thing" by The English Beat (1982, Go-Feet)
    The b-side to "Save It For Later" and it's not bad for a b-side but comes off more as a demo. The track was never properly fleshed out but it's got some promising ideas in there; not to mention some nice horn work.

  5. "Freedom" by Wham! (1985, CBS)
    One of four(!) singles from Make It Big that reached the top three on the pop charts in the US. This Motown knockoff homage would be just about perfect if not for the out of tune trumpet mess at the end. George Michael sure could write some hooks. On my list of the 85 top singles of 1985, this single appeared in the #57 spot.

No comments :

Post a Comment