Thursday, September 28, 2017

MFD Random Five #24


In which I click the shuffle icon on the iTunes app and listen to the first five songs that pop up from the years 1976-85.


  1. "Feels So Good" (single edit) by Chuck Mangione (1977, A&M)
    This single topped the pop charts in June, 1978; I began playing trumpet in August, 1978. Cosmic coincidence? Not in 12-year-old Mark's mind. I bought the album on cassette and started a 3 or 4 year phase where I'd buy anything Mangione released. I bought the sheet music and discovered there were awful lyrics that didn't quite fit the music:
    There's no place for me to hide
    the thoughts of all
    the times I've cried and felt this pain
    that I have known
    because I need just to hear
    that special something

    And then one day
    you just appeared
    you said "Hello
    let's make love along the way."
    Your name is music to my heart
    I'll always really love you

    Feels so good when I'm with you
    I can't believe you love me too
    with you it feels like it should feel
    feels so good

    I'll trade my baseball cards for you
    Now I can't believe that dreams come true
    with you my smile sticks all the time
    with you the sun will always shine

    Feels so good when I'm with you
    I can't believe you love me too
    with you it feels like it should feel
    feels so good
    Pinback from the MFD archives

  2. "Always Crashing in the Same Car" by David Bowie (1977, RCA)
    Mangione to Bowie: now there's a segue that's about as subtle as a Trump tweet. This track is a deep cut from side one of the Low album. While I prefer side two of that album, this song about the frustration of making the same mistake again and again resonates with me and I dig the guitar work by Ricky Gardiner. And Bowie sounds so calm about crashing as if he's resigned to the fact that he'll be doing this forever.

  3. "California Über Alles" by Dead Kennedys (1979, Alternative Tentacles)
    The band's first single, the lyrics are just as timely today as they were in the late '70s. Over three minutes long; it's much longer than most surf-punk tunes you'll hear.

  4. "Dirty Mind" by Prince (1980, Warner Bros.)
    If this isn't my favorite Prince song, it's certainly in the discussion. Insanely ahead of its time. That keyboard riff over the ostinato bass! Prince, never one to stick to convention, gives us a wonderful bridge but no chorus whatsoever. My friend Jim had this album and sometime in 1982 he let me borrow it for a dub. I arrived at my house and was met by my father in the kitchen. He asked what album I had and I reluctantly showed him the following cover which was met by silence, a look of disdain and disappointment, and a quick end of the conversation. I guess I should be glad he didn't want to hear any of the lyrics.

    and he wears this same outfit in the music video. Don't look, Dad!

  5. "(Everytime I Turn Around) Back in Love Again" by L.T.D. (1977, A&M)
    Now this song will send me out the door in a good mood. The funk groove is enough to carry the thing, but they put some tasty horns on top of the groove and then the Jeffrey Osborne vocals transcend the whole arrangement. 11-year-old Mark loved this song and he wasn't alone: #1 R&B, #4 pop, #19 disco. Single sleeve offered below for no other reason than the out of this world graphic.

3 comments :

  1. Excellent Random 5.

    The gods of shuffle were smiling upon us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were the next 5 on shuffle here at The Hideaway:

      "I Do Love You" by GQ
      (Jul 1979, Arista)

      "Shattered" by The Rolling Stones
      (Nov 1978, Rolling Stones)

      "Put Out The Fire" by Queen
      (Jul 1982, Elektra)

      "Another Nail In My Heart" by Squeeze
      (Sep 1980, A&M)

      "Bonzo's Montreux" by Led Zeppelin
      (Nov 1982, Swan Song)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete