Monday, November 18, 2019

MFD Not-So-Random Five #18


In which I select five songs from 1976-1985 based on an arbitrary theme. (Not to be confused with this blog's Random Five feature, a different exercise in arbitrariness). Today's theme: covers of The Doors' "Hello, I Love You" mostly from bands I've never heard of before.


  1. Stupid Set (1980)
    Devo-wannabes from Italy, but I gotta hand it to them - you've gotta be brave and confident to name your band Stupid Set. It's an interesting take on this song that could only have happened ca. 1980, but once is enough for me.

  2. Adam Ant (1982)
    I've heard this one many times since 1982 and, most likely, more than I've heard The Doors' original. It's a fairly rote cover except for the wonderful additions of backing vocals and horns.

  3. Hubble Bubble (1979)
    Hubble Bubble is a Belgian punk band in which Plastic Bertrand started his career. The first half is given a oddly kinda Latin flavor, then it abruptly switches gears to loud rockabilly screaming at the end. The group can't seem to keep a steady tempo and it's driving me crazy. I've listened to it four times and still don't quite know what to make of it.

  4. The Delmonas (1984)
    Re-titled "Hello, We Love You" which is a subtle change but makes a huge difference in meaning. The Doors meet The Kinks. I'm not interested in the flat, thin vocals, but this garage punk arrangement is fantastic.

  5. Missing Persons (1980)
    From the band's debut, self-titled EP. They took the thing and made it an unmistakable Missing Persons song. Fun arrangement, disjunct guitar solo, and great production.


No comments :

Post a Comment