Tuesday, July 9, 2019

MFD Not-So-Random Five #16


In which I select five songs from 1976-1985 based on an arbitrary theme. (Not to be confused with this blog's Random Five feature, a different exercise in arbitrariness). Today's theme: five Donna Summer singles that cracked the Hot 100, but not the Top 40.


  1. "Could It Be Magic" (peaked at #52 -  May 29, 1976)
    When I first heard this cover version I didn't care it much for it, but over time that clavinet part and relentless hi-hat wore me down. Donna moaning over a fantastic arrangement? Count me in.   

  2. "Rumour Has It" (peaked at #53 - April 15, 1978)
    Wikipedia states this song "is one of the earliest examples of disco, funk, rock, and electronica in pop culture." Whoa - slow your roll, wiki. It's a solid tune, though. In addition to the usual disco strings, it's got some great horn licks, which is a nice change. On the album, this rolls directly into "I Love You" and that's a great one-two punch, right there.

  3. "State of Independence" (peaked at #41 - November 6, 1982)
    #41 - close but no cigar. Originally recorded by Jon and Vangelis for their 1981 album The Friends of Mr Cairo. I can't follow the lyrics. Spiritual or no? I've examined the 1982 self-titled album previously on this blog. Here's what I wrote more than five years ago: "Adding a psuedo Afro-Carribean feel over a droning synth turns me off.    At least the sax solo and the "All-Star Choir" chanting nonsense lyrics make it interesting." Now I don't even find those things interesting.

  4. "Unconditional Love" (peaked at #43 - October 8, 1983)
    Features vocals by British reggae act Musical Youth. Sounds like music they'd pipe in on a tropical ride at a theme park. DeBarge did it better a few years later with "Rhythm of the Night."

  5. "Supernatural Love" (peaked at #75 - November 24, 1984)
    I have no memory of this one from the radio or MTV in '84. Fairly generic stuff for its time, which probably explains why it didn't chart higher. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, but there's nothing grabbing my ear, either.





No comments :

Post a Comment