Thursday, May 16, 2019

MFD Not-So-Random Five #15


In which I select five songs from 1976-1985 based on an arbitrary theme. (Not to be confused with this blog's Random Five feature, a different exercise in arbitrariness). Today's theme: songs written by Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil


  1. "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" by Daryl Hall & John Oates (1980, RCA)
    The duo adds just a little something extra to the cover - enough that I actually favor this to the Righteous Bros original. It seems to be propelled forward while being laid back, if that dichotomy makes any sense. But it's difficult to mess up material this good.  This #12 single was one of four top 40 singles released from the platinum-certified Voices album. Always reminds me of a school bus ride to a One Act Play competition in early 1981. I have no recollection, but maybe I busted out my own definitive rendition for my classmates on that trip. If they were lucky. Or, more likely, it was just on the radio as it moved down the charts.

  2. "Here You Come Again" by Dolly Parton (1977, RCA)
    In '77, I was more likely to have a Dolly Parton poster than a Dolly Parton record, but this crossover hit was all over the radio during the fall of 6th grade, so I know all the words. Not really a country tune, it's a well-crafted pop song with slide guitar. Nonetheless, the song earned Parton the award for "Best Female Country Vocal Performance" at the Grammy Awards. And when Dolly starts with "all you've gotta do is smile that smile," the song goes to another level and I could care less what genre you want to label this with. #1 country, #3 pop, and #2 easy listening. NOW that's what I call a hit!

  3. "Just Once" by Quincy Jones (1981, A&M)
    Hard to believe this classic ballad from the platinum album, The Dude peaked at only #17 on the pop chart. It's a fantastic tune - I like everything about it, from James Ingram's soulful vocals to Quincy Jones' production, from the tasty flugelhorn licks to the soaring strings. Lots of familiar names on the call sheet, too: Patti Austin, Abraham Laboriel, David Foster, Steve Lukather, Paulinho Da Costa, Jerry Hey, Ernie Watts, among others. I was about to claim "Just Once" as the best tune of this five, but we move on to...

  4. "Never Gonna Let You Go" by Sergio Mendes (1983, A&M)
    Heck, I could listen to this one all day and just might. I can't sing the high notes along with Joe Pizzulo and Leza Miller but that don't keep me from trying. Every time. For me, the self-titled album, Sergio Mendes, is one of those albums that is just okay, but you first heard it at just the right time and place in your life that makes it a life-long favorite. 

  5. "We're Going All the Way" by Jeffrey Osborne (1983, A&M)
    Another ballad from the songwriting duo, but man-oh-man what a beautifully written verse melody handled masterfully by Mr. Osborne (there's been some fantastic vocals in this not-so-random 5). This single peaked at only #48 on the pop chart and shame on you, America.


No comments :

Post a Comment