Saturday, February 9, 2019

MFD Random Five #41


In which I click the shuffle icon on the iTunes app and listen to the first five songs that pop up from the years 1976-85.


  1. "It's All In Your Hands" by Nile Rodgers (1983, Mirage)
    As you might suspect, this would have been a wonderfully beautiful Chic song, circa 1979. However, as a Rodgers solo joint, we realize what's missing rather quickly: Bernard Edwards and Tony Thompson. Oddly, Rodgers decides to be a picker, not a scratcher on this track. Nonetheless, it's a well-written song and we're left wondering what might have been.

  2. "Let's Pretend" by Al Jarreau (1984, Warner Bros.)
    Not the best song on the High Crime album, I dig the writing, especially on the chorus and bridge. Lemme check who wrote it: Jay Graydon, Richard Page, Steve George, & John Lang. Hey! Isn't that Pages? No wonder it's got hooks.

  3. "Not Enough Love in the World" by Don Henley (1984, Geffen)
    Like much of Henley's music, I'm indifferent to this song. It's pleasant enough and has a killer organ line (courtesy of Heartbreaker Benmont Tench), but I much prefer "All She Wants to Do is Dance" or "Sunset Grill" from the Building the Perfect Beast album.

  4. "Demolition Man" by The Police (1981, A&M)
    I think Ghost in the Machine is the best Police album and even Sting's sax playing can't harsh this groove and the wicked guitar solo from Andy Summers. Originally recorded and released by Grace Jones, it would later be covered by Manfred Mann's Earth Band. I prefer this version and now I feel the need to listen to the entire album.

  5. "Der Kommissar" by After the Fire  (1982, Epic)
    Didn't I just post about this one and call it the worst song on a compilation album? And I believe I've previously called this song a knock-off of Rick James' "Superfreak." Yeah, I don't care much for this one. Bad way to end a post. Sorry.

No comments :

Post a Comment