Tuesday, December 4, 2018

MFD Random Five #39


In which I click the shuffle icon on the iTunes app and listen to the first five songs that pop up from the years 1976-85.


  1. "Celebration" by Kool & The Gang (1980, De-Lite)
    Yes, this former #1 smash has been overplayed from the get-go, but when you're at a wedding reception and the DJ starts playing this one (and the DJ will definitely play this one at some point), you can't help but immediately jump up and find your way to the dance floor because it just fits perfectly. This one's got undeniable staying power. 

  2. "Knife Slits Water" by A Certain Ratio (1982, Factory)
    Experimental post-punk. I'm not a fan of Martha Tilson's vocals or the disturbing lyrics but that bass line sure is funky, if not over-repetitive. At almost 8 minutes, the novelty wears off rather quickly.

  3. "Love's Been a Little Bit Hard on Me" by Juice Newton (1982, Capitol)
    A top ten country-pop hit. One of those tunes I can take or leave yet I know all the words. Today, what strikes me most is the guitar solo - much better than I remember it being.

  4. "Starry Eyes" by The Records (1979, Virgin)
    Good ol' power pop produced by some guy named Mutt Lange. I dig it. I found this on the Rhino compilation Poptopia! Power Pop Classics Of The '70s which I'll now play through today at least once.

  5. "In My Room" by Yaz  (1982, Sire)
    Another experimental cut, this time from a great pop album where I never thought this one fit. This was the last cut on side one of the Upstairs at Eric's album, so I usually just cut that side short and flipped to side two. Pass.

No comments :

Post a Comment