Saturday, November 10, 2018

AT40, May 26, 1984 [Part 4 of 4]


I'm breaking down the AT40 show of May 26, 1984 track by track. I graduated from high school that weekend and was fortunate that my parents had lots of friends because I received an inordinate amount of graduation gifts. Most of the gifts fell into one of four categories: clocks, pens, dictionaries, and checks.  And while I used the clocks, pens, and dictionaries for many years, I spent the cash gifts immediately on electronics instead of saving it for tuition or books or some such foolishness. To wit, I bought a Fisher all-in-one stereo for the dorm room and a Walkman for my walks around campus.


Both saw plenty of use and I remember them getting me through college, but I have no idea when or where they were finally discarded.

My senior class had about 250 students and we graduated outside in the humid summer heat in a 40 year old concrete football stadium which is remarkably still in use today. I've sat through many graduation ceremonies, including four in which I received a diploma and one where I gave the commencement address, but that 1984 high school graduation was the best.

And now, on with the countdown with guest host Charlie Van Dyke...

#10: "Hold Me Now" The Thompson Twins. Seniors at my high school could leave campus and eat lunch at home or a fast food restaurant. Yes, it was a ill-conceived policy and I'm surprised more students didn't return from lunch drunk or high (it should go without saying that your humble blogger never did either - fear of swift, stern retribution from the parental units). I usually traveled to Burger King or McDonald's with friends Roy and Brett. We normally took my car and listened to the Into the Gap cassette at lunch everyday for at least two or three weeks that spring -  it was usually this song, natch, and we usually tried to sing along. It had peaked at #3 earlier in May.

#9:  "Breakdance" by Irene Cara. This song was decidedly not played on the Houston radio stations to which I listened. I have no memory of hearing it in 1984, and for that, I thank those program directors.

#8:  "Sister Christian" by Night Ranger. Oddly, I do not associate this tune with high school at all. Even though it had been in the Top 40 since mid-April, I think of this as a summer tune, relating it to a summer camp I attended in July. Another song from the same album, "(You Can Still) Rock in America" however, reminds me May - June '84 even though it had peaked at #51 back in January. Go figure. I like 'em both, but give the edge to "(You Can Still) Rock in America." "Sister Christian" was the band's first top ten hit and would eventually peak at #5 on June 9, 1984 (my 18th birthday).

Guest host Charlie Van Dyke then takes a look at what is atop the other charts (kinda early in the hour, don't ya think, Charlie?):
#7:  "The Reflex" by Duran Duran. This thing is fantastic and it's all due to Nile Rodgers' remixing skills. If there is one song that immediately takes me back to high school graduation, it is this one. Around May 26, 1984, this song was just about all I played in my car, had the 12" single, waited for the manic concert video on MTV, etc.  I specifically remember dancing to this song at a post-graduation party in the park about 1 AM after spending a few hours at the beach.

#6:  "To All the Girls I've Loved Before" by Julio Iglesias and Willie Nelson. I'll take a pass on this one, but it occurs to me that I've never heard the Albert Hammond original, so let's check that out:


Better, but not by much. Let's move along.

Long Distance Dedication: "Dear Casey, I'm 21 years old and originally from New York, but I came to California when I was 19 and I came alone. All I had was $500 at the time and I borrowed some money to get out here. I left home because my parents and I never got along. It was like we were never meant to be a family. When I realized we couldn't take it anymore, I decided to leave. I left them a note, but I didn't say where I was going, just that I loved them very much and that if I had remained living at home, my love might turn to hate. So it was better for us that I left. When I arrived in California, I got a job, an apartment, and finally, a car. After I got myself completely settled, I decided to call my parents and let them know how I was doing. But every time I called, they were never home - at least that's what the housekeeper said. A few months later, I met a terrific guy and fell in love. A year later, we were married. I sent pictures of the wedding to my parents, but they were returned, unopened. I just couldn't take it anymore, so I decided to go back to New York to find out what was going on. When my husband and I arrived at my old house, my parents were at the door. They treated me as if I were an intruder and I couldn't believe it. They refused to speak with us and they asked us to leave and never return. So, we left. But I knew my mother still loved me because when I looked at her eyes as we were leaving, they were full of tears. But her pride was too big for her heart. I'll never forget the look in her eyes that day and I hope she'll never forget mine, either. Casey, could you please play 'The Smile Has Left Your Eyes' for my mother Patty in New York from her daughter Susie in California. Thank You."

"The Smile Has Left Your Eyes" by Asia (#34, 1983)

#5:  "Oh Sherrie" by Steve Perry. My favorite Perry solo tune. I have no idea why I never bought the Street Talk cassette for the car because I sure sang along (loudly) every time this song came on the radio. By the way, I was not gifted with the exceptional vocal range of Perry, so the results were most likely comical.

"Coming up: the first woman in chart history to have her first two single releases make the top 3."

#4:  "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins. Collins' first #1 single. This had been #1 for three weeks a month prior and it's an okay ballad, but I guess I had enough of it by the end of May because I'm not enjoying it much today. However, I remember going to see the movie that fall with two friends at the $1 movie at the college student center. One of those two friends would become my wife 5 years later.

The woman Charlie mentioned earlier whose first two singles have hit the top 3 is...

#3:  "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper. Longtime readers know I'm not a fan of Lauper's caterwauling, but if you want to think I listened this song while writing this post, you go right ahead.

"There's a woman in the countdown who got her first show business break by accident. She was working in a record shop and the owner of the place overheard her singing along with the records. The rest of her story and her current hit, the new number one song, are coming up."

#2:  "Hello" by Lionel Richie. Wow, this top ten sure is heavy on the ballads, huh? But this is the best of the bunch because Richie can sure write a ballad. This single had been #1 for the previous two weeks, but moved to #2 on this chart. I'm gonna walk over to the piano and see if I still remember how to play it. BRB.

Nope. Didn't remember any of it.

Charlie Van Dyke finishes the story about Deniece Williams big break. The owner of the record store got her an audition with a small Chicago label, then on to bigger and better things. Like a #1 single.

#1:  "Let's Hear It for the Boy" by Deniece Williams. The fourth tune in the Top 40 from the Footloose soundtrack. This fun dance tune would stay at #1 the following week before the Lauper tune would take over.

Billboard, May 26, 1984, p. 60

"Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars."  ed. - only Casey gets to say that tagline. Sorry, Charlie.




Note: many of the tunes in this week's countdown appeared on a virtual 1984 "mixtape"I made for this blog a earlier last year: Impromptu 1984 Mixtape


Previously, I've looked at these AT40 episodes:
September 18, 1982
October 24, 1981
July 19, 1980
July 5, 1980 - "The Book of Records"
February 16, 1980
August 4, 1979
June 9, 1979 - Guest host: Bruce Philip Miller
September 16, 1978
April 1, 1978 - "AT40 Goes to the Movies"
April 23, 1977
July 4, 1976 - "4th of July's Greatest Hits"


No comments :

Post a Comment