Sunday, September 2, 2018

MFD Random Five #36


In which I click the shuffle icon on the iTunes app and listen to the first five songs that pop up from the years 1976-85.


  1. "The Hardest Walk" by The Jesus and Mary Chain (1985, Blanco y Negro)
    I don't mind a little distortion and/or feedback, but when white noise gets in the way of the music, I'm out. I'd like to hear an acoustic version of this tune, because it seems like a well-written alternative rock song.

  2. "Ride Easy" by Asia (1982, Geffen)
    As the B-side of "Only Time Will Tell," I didn't hear this until about 20 years ago because I bought the Asia album in '82, not the singles. Around the turn of the century, I saw a greatest hits compilation that included this song - I didn't recognize the title, so I downloaded the tune from Napster to give it a listen. With the baroque keyboards and mystical lyrics, this prog pop tune would have been a welcome addition to the debut album, but probably left off because the album pushes 45 minutes without it. When I saw the group in concert ten years ago, they performed an acoustic version of this song. 

  3. "When I Dream" by The Teardrop Explodes (1980, Fontana)
    I group this band with Echo & The Bunnymen in a category called "bands I should have listened to in the early '80s but never did." The guitar harmonics, the synth pads over the relentless drumming - this tune would have been right up my alley. Not to mention my New Waver wannabe reputation would have been enhanced with a few band pinbacks on my jacket. Opportunity lost.

  4. "Down Here on the Ground" by George Benson (1978, Warner Bros.)
    Man, this shuffle just took a left turn, huh? In 1967, Lalo Schifrin wrote the soundtrack to the Paul Newman film Cool Hand Luke. In 1968, jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery recorded the theme song from that movie as "Down Here on the Ground." Other jazzers recorded versions of it, including Lou Rawls and Grant Green, and Benson added it to his live set. GB's soulful rendition ended up on his 1978 platinum live album, Weekend in L.A. I like it just fine, but I keep waiting for Benson to tear off a sweet guitar solo that never happens. Tommy LiPuma's production is sparkling, as always. There's also a studio version that has appeared as a bonus track on Breezin' re-releases.

  5. "Here You Come Again" by Dolly Parton (1977, RCA)
    Another turn - this is why I love shuffles! The only thing countryish about this crossover hit is Parton's distinctive voice and a little bit of slide guitar. Everything else is pop. Did Parton write this? Lemme go check BRB. Nope, it's Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil. And now I hear it. <facepalm> This tune narrowly missed my recent 78 of '78 singles countdown but I sing along with every word.

No comments :

Post a Comment