Monday, April 2, 2018

MFD Random Five #30


In which I click the shuffle icon on the iTunes app and listen to the first five songs that pop up from the years 1976-85.


  1. "I'm in You" by Peter Frampton (1977, A&M)
    It's hard to believe this sappy thing is Frampton's biggest hit. Is it because it was riding the momentum of the earlier, mammoth Frampton Comes Alive album? That's the only explanation I can think of. I'm not into this one, but I will admit to liking Frampton's guitar work here.

  2. "All You Need is Love" by New Musik (1982, Epic)
    A synthpop cover of a Beatles classic wasn't a great idea, but I'm sure it's not the worse thing I'll hear today. The original was a swinging shuffle where this thing is as square as a plumb line and needlessly drags tunes like "Greensleeves" into the mix.

  3. "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" by Leo Sayer (1976, Warner Bros.)
    A fun, uplifting tune that topped the Billboard Hot 100 for a week in January, 1977. Love the build up to the chorus. And that's gotta be studio ace Steve Gadd on drums. I'm not admitting to a 40-year copyright violation, but I may remember someone recording this tune off the radio 41 years ago.

  4. "Time is Time" by Andy Gibb (1980, RSO)
    A #15 hit for Gibb, this thing has catchy chorus but not much else going for it. Is it possible that, by late 1980, the nation was experiencing Barry Gibb supersaturation or was Barry simply running out of steam? Discuss amongst yourselves.

  5. "Can't Hide Love" by Carmen McRae (1976, Blue Note)
    A rote cover of the Earth, Wind & Fire tune is a complete waste of McRae's talents. If you're gonna use a big band, use a big band arrangement. But I like it better than the folks over at Allmusic that write "This is the type of session that killed Blue Note the first time around." Yikes.

No comments :

Post a Comment