Friday, March 30, 2018

AT40, February 16, 1980 [Part 4 of 4]


I'm breaking down the AT40 show of February 16, 1980 track by track. 

So what was I doing around the time of this AT40 episode's broadcast?  My brace-faced, cowlick-headed, 95-pound-soaking-wet self was smack dab in the middle of 8th grade. I was involved in several school activities including band, speech and drama club, tennis team, plus I was more than a little girl crazy. Being a preacher's kid, I also had church activities to attend. Did I mention girls? And the Winter Olympics were going on, so I'm sure I was watching that, as well (anything to avoid homework.)

Now, on with the countdown:

#10: "Desire" by Andy Gibb. Before he was host of TV's "Solid Gold," Andy Gibb was steadily hitting the Top 40 singing songs written and produced by big brother Barry. This song must not have been played much on the radio station in the Houston market because I have very little memory of it, especially since it was a #4 hit. Go figure. Sounds more like a Bee Gees tune than an Andy Gibb single, but that's splitting hairs, isn't it?

#9:  "On the Radio" by Donna Summer. This followed a familiar formula for Donna's tunes at the time in that it starts slow then goes double time (see also: "Last Dance," "Dim All the Lights," and "No More Tears (Enough is Enough)"). A new Summer tune was always welcome in my neck of the woods. Around this time, we learned how to disco dance in PE class. I always danced with a girl named Tiffany and, I must say, we were awesome disco dancers (for 13 year olds).

#8:  "Longer" by Dan Fogelberg. I disliked this song when it was on the charts because I thought it was girly and schmaltzy. Now that I'm a lot older and slightly more mature, I think it is one of the most beautiful ballads this side of The Beatles' "Yesterday." Casey gives a mention to Jerry Hey for the flugelhorn solo (pronouncing his name "hī" when I always assumed it was pronounced "hā).

American Top 40 is heard in the 50 states and around the world every week on great radio stations like
  • WGOW - Chattanooga, Tennessee
  • KJOY - Stockton, California
  • 3DB - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
#7:  "Sara" by Fleetwood Mac. When I reviewed a Fleetwood Mac greatest hits album back in 2011 over at The CD Project, I said I wasn't a fan of this song. Just last year, I put that same CD in my truck and listened to "Sara" on repeat for at least a week. So, I'm exercising my right to change my mind. This is top-notch Stevie Nicks. This single would peak here at #7, where it held for 3 weeks.

#6:  "Yes, I'm Ready" by Teri DeSario with K.C. I didn't know it at the time, but this is a cover of a 1965 Barbara Mason tune. Despite a fairly catchy chorus, I can't muster up more than a "meh" for this remake. It was popular at the time, peaking at #2 and spending 2 weeks atop the Adult Contemporary chart.

Before playing the next tune, Casey shares the story of Quincy Jones' life-threatening brain aneurysm in 1974. Of course, Q lived on to become one of the biggest record producers of all-time, including...

#5:  "Rock With You" by Michael Jackson. After four weeks at #1, this single fell to the #5 spot. A fantastic dance cut, but then again I like the entire Off the Wall album. In 8th grade, I had a crush on a brunette that loved this song so of course I had to love it as well.

#4:  "Cruisin'" by Smokey Robinson. Peaked here at #4. So smooth, so soulful, so good. As disco began to fade away, we were treated to quite a few soul ballads in the early '70s tradition.  This might be the best of them.  Maybe Smokey's strongest vocal ever?

Before we continue, Casey tells us what's atop the other charts:
#3:  "Coward of the County" by Kenny Rogers. I'll admit knowing all the words to this story song because it was all over the radio. Now I view it as more of a novelty tune and grates on me as such.

#2:  "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen. I liked this when it was released because there was nothing else like it on the radio (which you can say about most Queen tunes now that I think about it). But when The Stray Cats brought back rockabilly full-time, I couldn't stand it. Fickle much, Mark? Dr. Brian May was usually only afforded short 2 or 4 measure solos, but he gets a full 8 on this one. After this week at #2, it would spend the following 4 weeks at #1 before being unseated by Pink Floyd.

#1:  "Do That to Me One More Time" by The Captain & Tennille. My sister was a huge C&T fan and, because she was older than me, she got to choose what LPs we listened to.  As a result, I know the words to every C&T song released between 1975-1980, including this one.  I'm not wild about this song, but man-oh-man did Toni T. have some golden pipes.


"Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars."


Previously, I've looked at these AT40 episodes track by track:
September 18, 1982
October 24, 1981
July 19, 1980
June 9, 1979
April 23, 1977


No comments :

Post a Comment