Friday, September 8, 2017

MFD Random Five #23


In which I click the shuffle icon on the iTunes app and listen to the first five songs that pop up from the years 1976-85.


  1. "Money (That's What I Want)" by The Flying Lizards (1979, Virgin)
    A 1959 classic that's been covered by groups from Jr. Walker to The Beatles, this Flying Lizards version is more of a avant-garde New Wave deconstruction than a cover (in that regard, it reminds more than a little of Devo's similar take on "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"). And the quirky thing works somehow. This is one of those New Wave songs that's heard much more on TV ads and movies these days than it was heard on the radio when it was released in the US. Recollection from vocalist Deborah Evans-Stickland: "We recorded Money in a cold meat fridge in Brixton, London. It cost £6.50. Was I excited when it was a hit? Not really. "

  2. "Puttin' On the Ritz" by Taco (1982, RCA)
    This single was a bigger hit than it should have been, but I'm glad I was living during a time when a cat calling himself Taco could have Top 40 hit with a crappy synth cover of Irving Berlin. That said, I must admit I really liked this drum-machine remake back in high school because I considered myself a "renaissance man" [snicker] that could appreciate Berlin. I didn't buy the LP, After Eight, but I thought about it. When he was about 11, my youngest son went through a month-long phase where he listened to this version all the time. Now when I hear the name Taco, I think of the FX series The League and my preferred version of this tune is by Peter Boyle.

  3. "True" by Spandau Ballet (1983, Chrysalis)
    I'd call this a guilty pleasure except for the fact that I love the thing, I always have, and I don't care who knows it. I know all the lyrics and will also vocalize the sax solo. And when this track finishes, I'll hit the repeat button and do it all again before moving on. Not long after the following commercial was released, my buddy Blake sent me this text message: "in the annoying spandau ballet car commercial, you are the dude in the backseat." He's right, of course.



  4. "Soweto" by Malcolm McLaren (1983, Atco)
    Cultural appropriation of the worst kind but I'll admit to liking it anyway. As I've written before, "it's very easy to ignore McLaren altogether and just enjoy what Trevor Horn has given us here." An overly repetitive track that could have used a B section and makes me want to listen to Graceland (more cultural appropriation, I know)

  5. "On My Radio" by The Selecter (1979, 2 Tone)
    A great ska tune. I can handle ska in small doses, but after more than 30 minutes, my cup runneth over, so hearing ska in a shuffle is perfect. I wasn't hip to 2 Tone Records until almost 4 years after this was released but a big shout out to my buddy Jim for turning me on to such things. Big shout out to Walt Jabsco as well. For more on the subject: The Freaky Trigger Top 100 Tracks Of All Time No. 44.

1 comment :

  1. After those 5 songs, these five songs played on my radio and by radio I mean digital music library on computer:

    "Just Another Day" by Oingo Boingo
    (Nov 1985, MCA)

    "Rock And Roll Never Forgets (LIVE)" by Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band
    (1981, Capitol)

    "Head Over Heels/Broken" by Tears For Fears
    (1985, Mercury)

    "Mr. Roboto" by Styx
    (Feb 1983, A&M)

    "Cartrouble" [single version] by Adam and the Ants
    (Feb 1980, Do It)

    ReplyDelete