Monday, February 13, 2017

Bracketology: 1977 singles, Quarterfinals


This year, this blog will periodically focus its attention on the singles and albums of 1977, so let's get things rolling with some Billboard Hot 100 bracketology. I've created this bracket of the eight top-selling pop singles from 1977 and we'll match them against each other, round by round, until a winner emerges. I hope you'll play along as I'm sure your bracket will turn out differently from mine. In years past, I've taken my seedings from the year-end edition of Billboard, but this year I'll take singles and seedings from my worn copy of Joel Whitburn's Pop Annual.







  • Quarterfinal #1: "You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone (#1 for 10 weeks) vs. "Rich Girl" by Daryl Hall & John Oates (#1 for 2 weeks)
  • Quarterfinal #2: "How Deep is Your Love" by The Bee Gees (#1 for 3 weeks) vs. "Love Theme from 'A Star is Born' (Evergeen)" by Barbra Streisand  (#1 for 3 weeks)
  • Quarterfinal #3: "I Just Want to Be Your Everything" by Andy Gibb (#1 for 4 weeks) vs. "Sir Duke" by Stevie Wonder (#1 for 3 weeks)
  • Quarterfinal #4: "Best of My Love" by The Emotions (#1 for 5 weeks) vs. "Torn Between Two Lovers" by Mary MacGregor (#1 for 2 weeks)
Fill out your bracket(s) with your personal favorites and check back for the semifinal round.

2 comments :

  1. Can't honestly say I dislike any of these '77 chestnuts, but Ol' Dirk's got some standouts nonetheless...

    #1) Little Debby's "Light" just doesn't shine bright enough to blind me to the greatness of "Rich Girl".

    #2) The Gees' "Love" is my favorite song from my 2nd favorite movie of all time... End of discussion. (Also see #4)

    #3) While I love Stevie's "Songs In The Key", "Duke" (& "Wish" before it) is not a huge fave... Doublin' down on the Gibb family with Andy.

    #4) "Best Of My Love" graduated to a whole 'nother level when it kicked off my #1, all-time favorite film... Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was hoping to get my nickel in before Dirk but I snoozed and loozed.

    I love love love You Light Up My Life for many many reasons but today after liatening to it followed by Rich Girl, I gotta give it to the dynamic duo. What can I say, Debbie, it's a b****, girl!

    My love for How Deep Is Your Love crushes the puny song it was up against. (On a side note, anyone else gonna watch the Bee Gees tribute?)

    Any other day, Sir Duke would have ruled and had a legitimate shot at taking it all but after today's listening, I'm handing young Mr. Gibb this bracket.

    Like Dirkaloni said, Best Of My Love is da bomb!

    ReplyDelete