Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Bracketology: 1976 Adult Contemporary singles, Semifinals


Let's see how the quarterfinal match-ups panned out (for me, at least):
  • Quarterfinal #1: Let's start off with an upset! I've always considered "Paloma Blanca" to be a borderline novelty tune, so while that one is a fun listen every once in a decade, I'm giving the nod to the underrated Simon & Garfunkel reunion single with the odd form - a midtempo ballad with a shout chorus? And it works.
  • Quarterfinal #2: ONJ's two-sided single isn't her best work, but I still love her. Call me, Liv!
    Any excuse to post a picture of me kissing a cardboard cutout in a Vegas gift shop.
    But as a confessed Fanilow could this match go any other way?
  • Quarterfinal #3: This is the closest match-up of this round. I particularly like the instrumental turnaround from the chorus of "If You Know What I Mean" (you know, the one with the flat 7). However, Steve Gadd's classic drumming and Rhymin' Simon's lyrics pull away in a photo finish.
  • Quarterfinal #4:  No upset here. I'd really love to see England Dan & John Ford Coley in the final round. Foreshadowing! (or is it? 😈)




Check back for the final round match-up.

1 comment :