Wednesday, October 12, 2016

MFD Random Five #14


In which I click the shuffle icon on the increasingly frustrating iTunes app (no, Apple, I don't want to stream, I want to listen to my files) and listen to the first five songs that pop up from the years 1976-85.


  1. "Open City" by The Waitresses (1983, Polydor)
    The group's second album, Bruiseology, isn't that great but this is one of the better tunes on said album. A good groove that's unmistakably Waitresses, the song switches gears about two minutes in to what sounds like a bridge, but turns out to be the tail end of the song.  Doesn't make much sense and doesn't really work.

  2. "White Hot Day" by Simple Minds (1984, A&M)
    Powerful Simple Minds from the height of their powers. This is the sort of the song that marked the group's transition from ethereal, moody music to bombastic rock. I like both so no matter. I prefer side one of Sparkle in the Rain, but "White Hot Day" could be the highlight of side two. I really should give this album more of my attention as its been a while since we connected.

  3. "I Don't Need Her" by The Outfield (1985, Columbia)
    Wasn't chosen as a single from Play Deep, but it coulda been. Typical Outfield: high-flying vocals, close harmonies, drums way up in the mix and I dig it all. Perfect music for a flat, straight, open road. I was 19 years old in in 1985, so the lyrics were very timely - I was definitely the target audience for that kinda teenage relational stuff.

  4. "Disco Tech" by Carole King (1978, Capitol)
    I usually don't consider King a disco artist. For good reason, it turns out.

  5. "I Can't Help It" by Grover Washington, Jr. (1980, Motown)
    With help from some of my favorite studio jazzers (Eric Gale, Marcus Miller, Richard Tee, Ralph Mac Donald), Grover covers a Michael Jackson tune written by Stevie Wonder. With that pedigree, you know its gotta be good. And it is.

No comments :

Post a Comment