Monday, March 28, 2016

Starting tomorrow: Countdown of the top singles of 1976


Last year, I put together a list of the top 85 singles of 1985. Now it's time to turn our attention to the top 76 singles of 1976.

Here's how I came up with my list: using Joel Whitburn's book, Pop Annual 1955-1999 (a thoughtful gift from a friend o' the blog), I started with the 527(!) singles that peaked on Billboard Magazine's Hot 100 chart in 1976.  An initial pass through that list narrowed it down to about 140 tunes.  The list was then narrowed to 95.  Titles of those songs were input on the backs of my obsolete business cards then the listening, ranking, and editing began.  Starting tomorrow, look for the results in a countdown series of posts. 

A quick guessing game to whet your appetite: of the nine singles represented below, two didn't make the cut for my 76 of '76. 

3 comments :

  1. Chicago's "Another Rainy Day in NYC" and America's "Today's The Day" wouldn't make my top 76.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would very much like to see your Top 76 Art as neither one of those songs made my Top 100 of 1976 so we just might have identical lists!

      I like the way you think and while I can honestly say up until a few minutes ago when I punched it up on Spotify, I don't think I had ever heard America's "Today's The Day", I'm guessing this guy doesn't like the KISS and Rod Stewart songs.

      Delete
    2. Art, those two would not make my list either. While I have both those songs in my library, I certainly do not know them off the top of my head. I have to agree with Herc in that KISS is not making the list. Hard to say what the second one will be. Perhaps Heart or the Brothers Johnson?

      Delete