Monday, March 14, 2016

Bracketology: Movie Soundtracks, Quarterfinals


Last week, I presented a bracket of 32 movie soundtracks selected from the years 1976-85. Click here for that post and a printable bracket.  What follows are my selections chosen to move on to the quarterfinal round.  Most of the higher seeds prevailed, but I'll briefly explain the close calls and upsets.





Only one mild upset on the Siskel side of the bracket:



Upset #1: Urban Cowboy over Star Wars.  The former contained multiple Top 40 hits.  And don't sleep on Seger's "Nine Tonight."  Now we got a John Travolta movie match-up in the quarterfinals.

Close call: Chariots of Fire over SPLHCB.  I considered simply flipping a coin on this one, but I like the Chariots album as a whole better than the Sgt Pepper album as a whole.



The Ebert side of the bracket contains a couple of upsets in this round:




Upset #2: FM over Flashdance.   Sure, there aren't many original songs in FM, but that doesn't keep it from being a sweet compilation.  Besides, Steely Dan > Michael Sembello.

Upset #3: Xanadu over Beverly Hills Cop. Simply put, I didn't like what was happening to R&B music in the mid-'80s as it lost its soul feel, sweet harmonies, and slow jams.



Check back soon for the semifinal matches.

1 comment :

  1. Mark, we matched six out of eight. here. I respect your FM pick. I will take your word on Chariots - it is not my cup of tea.

    Final four should be: Saturday Night Fever and Footloose, Grease and Purple Rain.

    ReplyDelete