Monday, February 1, 2016

Desdemona - The Kids from "Fame" (1982)

Desdemona
The Kids from "Fame"

Written by: Barry Fasman & Steve Sperry
Produced by: Barry Fasman
Album: The Kids from "Fame" (RCA, 1982)



You got big dreams...you want fame? Well, fame costs...and right here's where you start paying...in sweat!

So my sister had this cassette tape and I would steal it from her room (risky business) and listen to it from time to time as I loved the Fame movie and subsequent TV show about 23 year old actors who were still in high school.  I watched religiously as I thought I should attend a school like that (still do).  The album peaked at #146 on the Billboard 200 and didn't produce any top 40 hits here in the US, but it was huge in the UK.  Go figure.

Anyhoo, "Desdemona" quickly became my favorite song on the album.  I guess the students were doing a musical version of Othello?  I'm fuzzy on the details.  The song could be described as baroque power pop with disco strings, but whatever it is, it's full of hooks.  It hasn't aged well and I couldn't care less.  I've listened to it about ten times this morning and now I want to see if the TV series is available on blu-ray.




2 comments :

  1. Surprised Martin hasn't jumped in on this one yet. Know he's a huge FAME fan.

    Love this album and to a lesser extant the drama-filled show, though I only watched the first couple of seasons. "Desdemona" is probably my favorite song on the album and my least favorite is most definitely "It's Gonna Be A Long Night".

    Just pulled my copy of the album off the Vinyl Wall and see the sticker my little sister stuck on. This album and the Bugsy Malone soundtrack were longtime CD wishes and when I first discovered they were available, I spent way too much money having them imported. Know their other albums were never released on CD.

    Thanks for this one. It was out of the blue.

    Placed The Kids From FAME at Number 20 on my list of 100 Favorite Albums from 1982.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this post. I love Fame, I love this album, and I love this song!!!! Othello happens to be my favorite Shakespeare play as well, so it all comes together. I really want seasons 3 through 5 of Fame on DVD. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete