Monday, October 12, 2015

Point Blank - Nicole (1981)

Nicole
b/w Restless

Released: June, 1981 (Epic)
Written by: B. Randolph, B. Keith, K. Davis, M. Hamilton, B. Gruen, R. Burns
Produced by: Bill Ham
Album: American Exce$$



Note: when I label a song a "Lost AT40 Single," I'm only speaking for myself.  Your mileage may vary.

So I'm listening to a rerun of a fairly lackluster American Top 40 broadcast from September 5, 1981 and Casey Kasem introduced this song thus:
Eight years ago in Dallas, six men formed a band and called it Point Blank. They're still based in Texas and last week their first chart single debuted in the countdown at number 40.  Up a notch this week to 39, Point Blank with "Nicole."
Partly because of the Texas connection and partly because it sounds like a poor man's ZZ Top single, "Nicole" was a huge regional hit in the Houston market (at the time, I was mainly listening to KILT-AM, KLOL-FM, and KSRR-FM).  The verse is a forgettable blues-based shuffle, but the the chorus is an organ-drenched taste of southern rock with a melody that will stick in your head for days and reappear whenever you hear the name Nicole. The song's also got a nice bridge that raises it's rating a full letter grade.

This would be Point Blank's last week ever to appear on Casey's show.  The single only spent 2 weeks in the Top 40 and was the group's only Top 40 hit.   Overall, it stayed in the Hot 100 for a respectable 14 weeks.  It also peaked at #20 on the Mainstream Rock chart.  It's the only Point Blank song I've ever heard, but I'm glad to reconnect with it here.




1 comment :

  1. Holy guacamole!

    This is one of those series of moments that reminds me how amazing life can be.

    A week ago, I was listening to My Top Tracks 1981 playlist which features "Nicole", a favorite since the first time I heard it.

    Later that same day, my friend Brandon posted another one of his "lost" K-tel albums which featured "Nicole" as the last song on the album. (It's a great album by the way - the too good to be true tracklist gives it away though.)

    Then you write up this post. Had no idea it was Top 40. Thanks for the knowledge.

    ReplyDelete