Thursday, August 6, 2015

Top 40 Station Switchers of 1985


The following songs may have peaked on the Billboard Top 40 in 1985, but they made me hit the preset buttons on my car stereo quicker than you can say "We Are the World." In other words, you won't be seeing these songs on my upcoming list of the top singles of 1985.

In no particular order:

"Radioactive"The Firm
"Money Changes Everything"Cyndi Lauper
"And We Danced"Hooters
"I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down"Paul Young
"The Goonies 'R' Good Enough"Cyndi Lauper
"The Old Man Down the Road"John Fogerty
"Private Dancer"Tina Turner
"We Belong"Pat Benatar
"The Search is Over"Survivor
"Nightshift"Commodores
"Sea of Love"The Honeydrippers
"We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome)"Tina Turner
"Party All the Time"Eddie Murphy
"Oh Sheila"Ready for the World
"Everytime You Go Away"Paul Young
"I Want to Know What Love Is"Foreigner
"Say You, Say Me"Lionel Richie




3 comments :

  1. Zeppelin Gods on your dis list. Except for those 2, I concur with your list. Although, if I couldn't find anything else jumping around the dial, I would come back to the Hooters song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First: Missed ya, Blake! Someday I hope to compose a post that you'll feel compelled to comment on. *curtsies*

    By 1985, my radio listening was solely relegated to Friday night mix show on town's most popular station while at work, Saturday night mix show on community radio station while at work and the occasional Sunday morning American Top 40 with my chart chum Casey if I got up in time but sleeping past Noon was my thing back then, you know, the whole living after midnight, rockin' til the dawn thing. I think the Sunday Six Pack was still airing on the local rock station then, where they played six albums back to back for home tapers (music killers) like me. And Virgin Vinyl/The New Music Test Dept was probably still airing after the Six Pack on Sunday nights giving me guidance on what new sounds I should look for in the coming week.

    The overwhelming majority of my music listening was on vinyland mixtapes and I think slightly less than half the songs you listed ended up either on my personal mixes or those made for others.

    Your distaste for the music of Paul Young is new to me: Wha'ppen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I agree with a couple of these, I cannot fully endorse the rest. My love for these tunes by Cyndi Lauper, the Hooters, Paul Young, Ready for the World, and Mr. Eddie Murphy's one-hit wonder won't be denied. I will keep this in mind so not to play any of these in your presence. ;)

    ReplyDelete