Monday, August 3, 2015

John Surman - Edges of Illusion (1979)

Edges of Illusion
John Surman

Written by: John Surman
Produced by: Manfred Eicher
Album: Upon Reflection (ECM, 1979)



Back in June, this beautiful thing showed up at my doorstep:



It's a box set from ECM Records of compilation discs from their :rarum series, a birthday gift from a good friend.  In this series, the artists were given the freedom to pick their personal favorite recordings from any ECM release they've made as a leader or sideman. In other words, the label got outta the way and good for them.  I've slowly been making my way through the set and got to the disc by English composer/performer John Surman, with whom I was previously unfamiliar.  Most of the disc is free jazz which takes a concentrated listening effort on my part.  But when track 6, "Edges of Illusion," starting playing, I started texting friends, telling them to listen to it.  I don't quite know what to make of it (yet), but I find it moody, atmospheric, and hypnotizing. 

Recorded in Oslo in May 1979, this recording is written and performed entirely by Surman, using overdubs on several instruments: soprano saxophone, baritone saxophone, bass clarinet, and synthesizer.

It's a trip, man.





1 comment :

  1. That Surman's got me trippin', dude!! – To be honest, it sounds like the theme to some Willy Wonka meets "Halloween III: Season Of The Witch" hybrid... Creepin' me right the hell out, too (but in a good way)!

    ReplyDelete