Thursday, March 26, 2015

Bracketology: 1985 singles, Champion



Not even close.  After cutting down the net, Prince, Stevie Wonder, Melle Mel, Reggie Griffin, and Arif Mardin lift Chaka Khan on their shoulders and carry her off the court in victory.




Yeah, you can have a beef that we're crowning a singles champion for 1985 that was not only released in 1984, but also peaked on November 23 the charts that year (not to mention it's a cover of a song written by Prince back in 1979).  But I remind you that we used the Billboard year-end chart for 1985 and here was their criteria:


For the record, the single premiered at #73 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the September 8, 1984.  It spent a total of 26 weeks on the charts, peaking at #3 for three weeks in late November/early December.  It's final week on the chart was March 2, 1985.  Those 26 weeks on the chart were basically my entire freshman year in college.




3 comments :

  1. So glad Chaka rules!

    Weird catalog glitch in Spotify which they say is how Warner Brothers sent files: The digital versions of albums I Feel For You and Epiphany contain single, edited 3:39 version of "I Feel For You" song instead of full-length 5:46 version found on vinyl, cassette and CD. You found the digital single which clocks in at 4:06. The original 7:12 twelve inch remix from 1984 is nowhere to be found in Spotify's vast library. Even the digital version of Life Is A Dance - The Remix Project features a 5:01 remix of the song which sounds like the album version AND the original 12" remix. However, my CD of Life Is A Dance has an 8:37 "I Feel For You" Paul Simpson Remix.

    Nit picked. Still a paying subscriber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dirk ain't got no "beef" with Chaka Khan. It's one of my all-time favorites...of 1984!

    Got me to thinking, though... I'll bet this list would be downright unrecognizable if you'd used Billboard's year end charts in that instance... I demand a recount!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for Chaka Khan, so I am happy with the way this tournament turned out. I say the next time you do top sixteen in two eight song divisions. This way we get some interesting variety going.

    ReplyDelete