Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Bracketology: Duran Duran singles, Semifinals


Let's see how the quarterfinal match-ups panned out (for me, at least):
  • Quarterfinal #1:  While I love the opening camera shutter sounds and the infamous video(s) of "Girls on Film," I have to give the edge to "New Moon on Monday" because of the catchy chorus melody. 
  • Quarterfinal #2:  In this round's only blow-out, "Rio" easily bests "Planet Earth"
  • Quarterfinal #3:  A close one.  Keeping in mind that I'm considering the Nile Rodgers single remix of "The Reflex" instead of the album version, I'm picking that song over "Hungry Like The Wolf."  "The Reflex" also gets a boost from nostalgia: it was one of my favorites 30 years ago when I graduated high school.
  • Quarterfinal #4:  In the summer of 1983, "Is There Something I Should Know?" grabbed my attention like no other single.  I couldn't get to the record store fast enough to get a copy.  Two summers later, "A View to a Kill" didn't have the same effect on me.



Check back tomorrow for the final round match-up.

For my previous thoughts on these singles, click here.

2 comments :

  1. I neglected to mention yesterday that "Union of the Snake" got hosed by the committee.

    In this round, I'd take "New Moon on Monday" and "Is There Something I Should Know." I could never hear the commercial appeal of "The Reflex," and I still can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an all Rio quarterfinal in my bracket after "Come Undone" was disqualified.
    My original semi-final picks

    ReplyDelete