Monday, November 18, 2013

Jean Carn - Don't Let It Go to Your Head (1978)

 Don't Let It Go To Your Head
b/w I Bet She Won't Love You Like I Do

Released: June 1978 (Philadelphia International)
Written by: Kenneth Gamble & Leon Huff
Produced by: Kenneth Gamble & Leon Huff
Album: Happy To Be With You

 U. S. Billboard Charts:
 R&B54


Ah, The Sound of Philadelphia.  I recently purchased the 10 disc Philadelphia International Records 40th Anniversary Box set.  It's a massive 13½ hour compilation of wonderful Philly Soul; I'm still wading my way through it all.  However, while I was doing mindless office busy work at the office today, I shuffled through some of the discs.  This song came on and stopped me in my tracks.  I had two immediate thoughts:
  1. Why haven't I heard this before?
  2. Why didn't this chart higher?
I got no answers for either question.  This single has a great syncopated groove, typical Gamble & Huff background harmonies, and smooth disco strings (bonus points for having trombones use wah-wah plungers - that's something you don't hear every day). I was previously unfamiliar with Carn, but she has a strong, wonderfully soulful voice. This is one of those "better late than never" kind of discoveries.  Let's hope there's more where that came from.






3 comments :

  1. Mark, I honestly cannot recall if I have ever heard this song either - but I totally agree with you that it is a keeper. Thanks for sharing your discovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just listened to the whole album on Spotify. Fun, soulful, disco. You should check it out and put it on your cue for 2018.

      Delete
  2. You remember those records where they would introduce the orchestra, instrument by instrument? One of my favorite variations on that theme is from an episode of Cold Case and the song "Back Stabbers" - watch the scene on YouTube. The whole episode is full of the Philly Sound.

    (This song was not included among them.)

    I guess I stand alone as the one who had heard this one before this past week. The album version shows up on Philadelphia International Records 12" Singles set from 2006 but as far as I can tell there never was a true extended or remixed version.

    Not that it needs one.

    ReplyDelete