Thursday, February 6, 2020

Ultravox - Mr. X (1980)

Mr. X
Ultravox

Written by: Warren Cann, Chris Cross, Billy Currie, & Midge Ure.
Produced by: Conny Plank & Ultravox
Album: Vienna (Chrysalis, 1980)



When this piece was recorded, the band had been through some personnel changes; this was the first release with Midge Ure and without John Foxx. The album contained four UK singles: "Vienna" (#2)*, "All Stood Still" (#8)."Sleepwalk" (#29) and "Passing Strangers" (#57). But the lead track on side two of the LP is "Mr. X," a haunting noir piece with definite Neu!/Kraftwerk influences.

Lots of drum machine and synths with the occasional spoken word, provided by the group's drummer/drum machine programmer, Warren Cann:
I found the perfect picture, of a perfect stranger.
It looked as if, it were taken in the forties sometime,
Judging by the style.
He could be a killer or a blind man with a cane,
Perhaps he died in a car crash, years ago.
Right now, it's impossible to tell.
I almost thought I saw him, standing, whistling on a bridge.
I asked him the time, but when he turned around,
I saw it wasn't him at all.
I'm still searching.
I'm still searching.
I saw him in an airport, while he was sitting on a wing.
And I waved to him, but I don't think he noticed me.
I've got a funny feeling I know who he is.
Mr. X
There's also a disjunct solo on electric violin from Billie Currie. It's all very strange, especially to a 16 year-old boy growing up in rural Texas (i.e., one of my general height, weight and build). The silliness of the text was overshadowed by the serious, minor key synth pads. I'm not sure I've ever liked this thing but I can't stop listening to it.

*The title track was denied the top spot by the novelty hit "Shaddap You Face."






No comments :

Post a Comment