Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Counting down the Top 50 of '79 - Albums #40 - 31

A breakdown of my favorite albums from 1979


Blue Desert

Billboard 200: -
CashBox 200: -
Top 40 pop singles:none
Top track:"Release Yourself"


A classic of the West Coast genre, impeccably produced by Jay Graydon.  Lots of electric piano and melodic hooks.  Backing musicians include Michael Omartian, Ray Parker Jr, and Ernie Watts as well as members of Toto, such as Steve Lukather, Jeff Pocaro, and Bobby Kimball.  All that and the whole is still greater than the sum of its parts.

Allmusic


Knock the Walls Down

Billboard 200: -
CashBox 200: -
Top 40 pop singles:none
Top track:"The Ending"

Previously featured on this blog here: https://myfavoritedecade.blogspot.com/2014/02/steve-kipner-knock-walls-down-1979.html

Allmusic


Spirits Having Flown

Billboard 200: 1
CashBox 200: 1
Top 40 pop singles:"Too Much Heaven" (#1)
"Tragedy" (#1)
"Love You Inside Out" (#1)
Top track:"Love You Inside Out"


Not much of a cohesive album, but there's no denying three #1 singles.

Allmusic: "the most delicate and ambitious production and arrangements in their history"


The Long Run

Billboard 200: 1
CashBox 200: 1
Top 40 pop singles:"Heartache Tonight" (#1)
"The Long Run" (#8)
"I Can't Tell You Why" (#8)
Top track:"Heartache Tonight"


Not much of a cohesive album, but there's no denying three hit singles.

Allmusic: "a major disappointment, even though it sold several million copies and threw off three hit singles. "


I'm the Man

Billboard 200: 22
CashBox 200: 25
Top 40 pop singles:none
Top track:"It's Different for Girls"


An underrated sophomore effort, Jackson's more sophisticated side is starting to show itself here.

Allmusic: "peculiar brand of pop charm is already building up its strength."


Unknown Pleasures

Billboard 200: -
CashBox 200: -
Top 40 pop singles:none
Top track:"She's Lost Control"


I realize #35 is low for a stone cold classic, but I wasn't exposed to it until around 1983, didn't really start listening to Joy Division until around 2005, and I'm still not sure I completely understand the thing even though I've seen the biopics and read the books. I'll keep trying.

Allmusic: "the whole album a monument to passion, energy, and cathartic despair."


New Chautauqua

Billboard 200: 44
CashBox 200: 67
Top 40 pop singles:none
Top track:"New Chautauqua"


My first exposure to Metheny was in 1983, but I really didn't get into his stuff until a few years later. I then caught up on his back catalog ASAP. This is a beautiful collection of Metheny originals performed by an overdubbed Metheny on electric 6- and 12-string guitars, acoustic guitar, 15-string harp guitar, and electric bass.

Allmusic: "If any of Metheny's early recordings deserves reconsideration, a real argument can be made for the skeletal, yet utterly beautiful New Chautauqua."


Keep the Fire

Billboard 200: 16
CashBox 200: 17
Top 40 pop singles:"This is It" (#11)
"Keep the Fire" (#36)
Top track:"This is It"


If all that were on this album was "This is It," it would still make this list but there's lots of stuff here that goes down easy.

Allmusic: "punchy sound, detailed production, and shades of boogie."


Bruce Woolley and The Camera Club
Bruce Woolley and The Camera Club

Billboard 200: 184
CashBox 200: 169
Top 40 pop singles:none
Top track:"Video Killed the Radio Star"


I bought this album about ten years ago for two reasons: 1) I wanted to check out this version of "Video Killed The Radio Star," and 2) the keyboard player is a young Thomas Dolby (credited as Tom Dolby). I guess I like it because it sounds like an album I would have owned in high school. Note: released in England under the title English Garden.

Allmusic


One Voice

Billboard 200: 9
CashBox 200: 8
Top 40 pop singles:"Ships" (#9)
"When I Wanted You" (#20)
"I Don't Want to Walk Without You" (#36)
Top track:"Ships"

I was a full-blown Fanilow by 1979, but I can admit that this was the beginning of the end for Barry. This album got many a play on my turntable back in '79 but I haven't listened to it much since then. I caught Barry's act last year and I gotta say I was very entertained. I don't recall him singing any tunes from this album, though.

Allmusic: "marked a decline in his commercial fortunes despite being a considerable hit."


These are my personal top 50 albums released in 1979.  The following criteria was used on a very slippery sliding scale:
  • How often I enjoyed the album at the time of release
  • How often I've enjoyed the album over the past 30+ years
  • Overall quality of the album
Chart information is from the US Billboard and CashBox album charts and the Billboard "Hot 100" pop singles.  The top track for each album is solely my opinion.

No comments :

Post a Comment