Tuesday, April 2, 2019

MFD Random Five #43


In which I click the shuffle icon on the iTunes app and listen to the first five songs that pop up from the years 1976-85.


  1. "Trouble in Paradise" by Al Jarreau (1983, Warner Bros.)
    I consider Jarreau to be one of the best albums of 1983 and this is one of the better songs on said album. Everything works - I don't even mind the synth toms. Even the fact there's no bridge doesn't bother me because the chorus is so good. Released in the fall of 1983, this single peaked at #63 pop and #10 adult contemporary. I think I even have the sheet music to this one around here somewhere - BRB.

  2. "He Could Be the One" by Josie Cotton (1982, Elektra)
    I first heard this one via the Valley Girl movie and the Rhino compilation CD. I liked it so much I subsequently purchased the Convertible Music album so I could hear more Josie. Cotton's retro-60's pop sound is immediately accessible. She sings the entire song as if she's on talking on the phone to her girlfriend, on the verge of a giggle fit, which makes the whole song completely endearing.

  3. "Back Seat Betty" by Miles Davis (1981, Columbia)
    As usual, I have no idea what Miles is up to here, but it did remind me of this recent quote I read from Wayne Shorter: "When Miles and I talked, he would ask me a question. 'Hey Wayne -- do you ever get tired of playing music that sounds like music?' Before I answered him, he said, 'I know what you mean.' Like, he's answering his own question." It's great to hear the interplay between Miles and bassist Marcus Miller. At 11+ minutes, it's a bit long for this guy, but I'll still listen to it because it's Miles.

  4. "Groovitation" by Deodato (1980, Warner Bros.)
    Too much disco influence to be smooth jazz, but it's pretty close. Deodato lifts his own backbeat from Kool & The Gang's "Ladies' Night," buts a funky bass line on it and tries to milk it for six minutes - doesn't quite work, though.

  5. "Sign of the Times" by The Belle Stars (1982, Stiff)
    Catchy, but not great. Sounds like Bananarama (you have to decide for yourself if that's a compliment or an insult).

No comments :

Post a Comment