Tuesday, September 18, 2018

MFD Not-So-Random Five #9


In which I select five songs from 1976-1985 based on an arbitrary theme. (Not to be confused with this blog's Random Five feature, a different exercise in arbitrariness). Today's theme: 5 songs sitting in the #5 spot on Billboard charts from 40 years ago (Billboard, September 16, 1978)


  1. "You Needed Me" by Anne Murray (1978, Capitol)
    #5 on the Easy Listening chart. While this song topped the pop charts for a week, it oddly never topped the Easy Listening chart despite spending a record 36 weeks on that list. It's a great love song with a simple accompaniment and wonderful bridge. I know every word but I don't have the range to pull this off, so it's been cut from my karaoke list.

  2. "Think It Over" by Cissy Houston (1978, Private Stock)
    #5 on the National Disco Action Top 40 chart. A Michael Zager joint - a fact that's apparent in the first measures. With conga drums, strings, guitar scratching, drum breakdown section, and a catchy singalong chorus, this hits all the popular disco tropes of the time. On the one hand, I can't understand why this didn't chart on the Hot 100; on the other, it sounds so much like other disco tunes of the day that it almost becomes indistinguishable. I'm digging it today, though.

  3. "Heartbreaker" by Dolly Parton  (1978, RCA)
    #5 on the Hot Country Singles chart. This Carole Bayer Sager tune didn't do too much for me in '78 and still doesn't. Like the Anne Murray tune above, there's not much country about this tune to my ear, but it was the era of the country crossover hit, so it's to be expected.

  4. "Get Off" by Foxy (1978, TK Records)
    #5 on the Hot Soul Singles chart. Love this groove and I sing the "ooo ooo ooo ooo" intro to this very day. A funk dance tune with a guitar solo and talk box part. Here's my best description of the thing: it sounds like a party. And I'd like to be at that party.

  5. "Kiss You All Over" by Exile (1978, Warner Bros.)
    #5 on the Hot 100 chart. A poor man's Barry White tune. Huge pop hit, but I can't muster more than a meh.

No comments :

Post a Comment