Tuesday, August 7, 2018

MFD Random Five #34


In which I click the shuffle icon on the iTunes app and listen to the first five songs that pop up from the years 1976-85.


  1. "I Want Your Love" by Chic (1979, Atlantic)
    As longtime blog readers know, Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards hold lofty, elevated status around this house. If they made bobbleheads of those two, I'd own 'em and buy extras to give as gifts. My only complaint with this simmering, building disco tune is that I shuffled into the shorter three and a half minute single edit instead of the full seven minute version.

  2. "Don't Tell Me No" by The Cars (1980, Elektra)
    The Cars could write some catchy hooks, unfortunately, they didn't include any in this single from the very mediocre Panorama album. And the lyrics:
    It's my transition, it's my play
    It's my phone call to beta ray
    It's my hopscotch, light the torch
    It's my downtime, feel the scorch, well
    Saywhatnow? I don't think I'm alone in my opinion: this song was released as a single but failed to chart.

  3. "Loud Music in Cars" by Billy Bremner (1981, Stiff)
    Guitarist for Rockpile cuts a solo single and guess what? It sounds like Rockpile/Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds stuff. And that's okay with this guy. This thing shuffles along with a decent verse but the George Harrison-esque chorus comes along and I'm hooked.

  4. "A Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy" by The Kinks (1978, Arista)
    I feel bad about not liking any Kinks record, but with a title like that, I expect a rocker, not maudlin navel-gazing. 

  5. "For Your Eyes Only" by Sheena Easton (1981, Warner Bros.)
    James Bond theme music written by Bill "Gonna Fly Now" Conti. And I gotta confess - I like the thing. The atmospheric production, Easton's vocals, all of it. I didn't tolerate many ballads in '81 as a transitioned to a New Waver wannabe, but I more than tolerated this tune. I'm also reminded of an ill-advised Maynard Ferguson cover (click at your own risk). According to the Wiki, "Easton is the only artist (to date) to be seen singing the theme song to a Bond movie during its opening titles."

No comments :

Post a Comment