Friday, August 3, 2018

AT40, August 4, 1979 [Part 3 of 4]

 

I'm breaking down the AT40 show of August 4, 1979 track by track.  For an a look at #40-31, click here, for #30-21 click here.

#20:  "Getting Closer" by Wings. The follow-up single to "Goodnight Tonight." I usually can take it or leave it, but today it's really resonating with me. Go figure. On AT40 since late June, it was peaking here at #20. So is the "salamander" in the lyrics a pet name for his woman, the nickname of his woman's lover, or an actual amphibian?

Casey tells the story of the drummer for Atlanta Rhythm Section, Robert Nix, had to sneak out of the house at night to play gigs when he was 15 years old.

#19: "Do It or Die" by Atlanta Rhythm Section. To be honest, I never recognized this as an Atlanta Rhythm Section tune. Still, it's a nice enough soft rocker, which should have placed higher than #11 on the Adult Contemporary chart. Over on the pop charts, it peaked here in the #19 spot.

"Coming up: a Long Distance Dedication from a Louisiana girl to a Florida boy who taught her that the best cure for being hurt in love is to fall in love again." Awwwww.....

#18: "Boogie Wonderland" by Earth, Wind & Fire with The Emotions. Two EWF songs in one episode could never be a bad thing.  A great dance tune from my favorite EWF album, I Am. Ain't nuthin' wrong with this joint - I'll even admit to a bit of chair-dancing as I write these words.  A big crossover hit, this peaked on the Top 40 at #6, hit #2 on the R&B chart, and #14 on the disco chart.  I even played a marching band arrangement of the tune at high school football games.



Long Distance Dedication: "You Made Me Believe in Magic" by Bay City Rollers (#10, 1977).
Dear Casey, a few months ago I was going steady with a guy. I really thought I was in love. Then, I found out he was just using me to get a date with my best friend. I was really hurt. I vowed never to go out with another guy again. This went on for about three months, then I met Aaron. He kept asking me out and I kept turning him down. Finally, he asked me why. I told him the whole story. I found I could really talk to him and he understood me. We went out often and I found I was falling in love again. I was scared, but he helped me through. Then, one day, Aaron told me he had to move. We write each other often, and in my letters I try to tell him how much I love him and thank him for getting me out of my depression. But it's hard to write it in words, so I'd like to dedicate the song "You Made Me Believe in Magic" to Aaron to tell him how I feel.
I don't remember ever hearing this BCR single on the radio, but it's got a catchy chorus.

#17: "Lead Me On" by Maxine Nightingale. Another one of those hook-filled ballads with raunchy lyrics that I would sing around the house much to my mother's dismay.  This good stuff goes down smooth. #1 on the AC chart for 7 weeks, this slow burner would peak at #5 on September 15. Both this song and its predecessor on the chart, "Boogie Wonderland," share a songwriter: Hall-of-Famer Allee Willis.

#16:  "Sad Eyes" by Robert John. I remember the girls in 8th grade loved this sap, so I was forced to listen to it if I wanted to be near them. Of course, all 8th grade girls are only interested in high school boys, so why did I even bother? This song entered the Top 40 on June 30 and would finally reach the #1 spot on October 6, spending a remarkable 19 weeks on AT40.

"Coming up is the latest hit by a singing-songwriting duo who would have been killed on that tragic Thursday of May 24, 1979, if it weren't for their love of doing interviews."

#15:  "Shine a Little Love" by Electric Light Orchestra. Loved ELO, loved disco. Two great tastes that taste great together. ELO had 17 singles crack the Top 40 between the years of 1976-85, this was their ninth of those 17 to do so, peaking at #8.

Casey tells the story of McFadden & Whitehead accepting an unscheduled interview and postponing a flight. They were originally ticketed for American Airlines Flight 191, which crashed at O'Hare airport moments after takeoff. Casey mistakenly states the date as May 24, when the accident occured on May 25. An odd, morbid contribution to the episode, no?

#14:  "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" by McFadden & Whitehead. Classic Philadelphia International sound.  I remember dancing to this one in the jr high gym.  I can't find any fault with any of it: the great string part floating above a funky bass line played by Jimmy Williams backed up with vocals from The Sweethearts of Sigma.  Immediately recognizable, immediately danceable, immediately classic. "Don't wanna stop, please don't make me stop!" The duo's only Top 40 hit, this one would peak at #13, but topped the R&B chart and reached #10 on the disco chart.

"Next up, the first heavy metal song to make the Top 40 of the disco chart."  Uh....whatever you say, Casey.

#13: "I Was Made For Lovin' You" by Kiss. A sub-par disco tune from a novelty act. At least it's better than "Beth." The song did indeed make the disco chart, peaking at #37 there. It would make it as high as #11 on the pop chart. The group was accused of "selling-out" but let's be honest, that ship had sailed years earlier.

AT40 Archives: "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" by Elton John.  Casey's counting down the #1 songs of the 1970's; this tune is the last of three in this show. This cover tune was #1 for the first two weeks of 1975.

--end of hour three--

Casey welcomes one new station to the American Top 40 family this week: WKKZ - Dublin, Georgia
#12:  "Mama Can't Buy You Love" by Elton John. In which a green-eyed English bloke attempts to sing blue-eyed Philly soul.  Great material, great arrangement (love those French horn parts), poor performance. This would top the Adult Contemporary chart and peak at #9 on AT40.

Casey lists the five members of Raydio in the intro to...

#11:  "You Can't Change That" by Raydio. In this humble blogger's opinion, Ray Parker, Jr. is an underappreciated songwriter, producer, and guitarist.  The baritone vocals of this bouncy song fit perfectly in my vocal range which means my family had to hear my a capella version around the house quite often. Two weeks after this episode, this single would peak at #9.

Billboard, August 4, 1979, p. 56
More to come...

No comments :

Post a Comment