Sunday, July 1, 2018

40 Years Ago Today - Top 20 New Wave Chart from Record World (1978)



I'm not sure if Record World was the only magazine to have a separate New Wave chart, but it's the only one I've seen to date. Best I can tell, the first New Wave Top 20 appeared in the September 10, 1977 issue and this July 1, 1978 chart was the last (I'll dig a little deeper and get back to you on that). No telling how it was compiled (airplay? sales? club play? payola? flip a coin?). There's also several errors, particularly in artist/band names, but all-in-all, it's an interesting time capsule.

Record World, July 1, 1978, p. 72

On July 1, 1978, I was listening to KRIG-AM, a Top 40 station in Odessa, TX. I might have heard the Nick Lowe and Patti Smith tunes on that station around that time, but I couldn't swear to it. I discovered other bands on this list (The Clash, The Romantics, The Jam, Devo, Boomtown Rats, Blondie, Elvis Costello) a short time later. Other groups listed here I didn't discover until the '90s: Plastic Bertrand, Ian Dury, Modern Lovers, etc. But there's a few on here that have sent me down an unexpected rabbit hole. Even if these aren't new to you, come join me:

Note: chart positions 3 & 4 are both covers of The Rolling Stones 1965 tune, "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction)"


Or listen to all the available songs while you're tanning by pool this weekend:

No comments :

Post a Comment