Saturday, June 2, 2018

MFD Random Five #32


In which I click the shuffle icon on the iTunes app and listen to the first five songs that pop up from the years 1976-85.


  1. "Everybody Loves You Now" by Billy Joel (1981, Columbia)
    I prefer this live version from Songs in the Attic to the 1971 original. Lots of energy but it's still just filler. Not bad filler for a debut album, mind you, and I dig the snarky lyrics.

  2. "Tragedy" by John Hunter (1984, Private I)
    If I've heard this before, I've forgotten it. The song peaked at #39 on the Billboard chart in '85 so I must have this file because of the legendary, now complete, Megalist project. As for the song, it sounds like a poor man's Springsteen-Winwood-Carrack, driven by keyboard instead guitar. Easily forgettable, I'm surprised it made it to 39. Let's see how it did over on Adult Contemporary: no dice. A one-hit wonder. And now that I've heard it, I'll quickly forget it; next time I hear it, I'll say, "If I've heard this before, I've forgotten it."

  3. "Mull of Kintyre" by Wings (1977, Capitol)
    #1 in the UK, non-charting here in the States. Sounds like an old Scottish pub singalong waltz, complete with bagpipes. Not bad, but not for me. Raise a glass to Sir Paul always, though.

  4. "Empire Strikes Back (Medley: Darth Vader/Yoda's Theme)" by Meco (1980, RSO)
    What might have been a good idea in 1977 had tarnished badly by 1980.

  5. "Atomic Dog" by George Clinton (1982, Capitol)
    And this Random Five is ultimately saved by Dr. Funkenstein! "Bow-wow-wow-yippee-yo-yippee-yay!" may be some of my favorite '80s lyrics. Amazingly, this 1982 single never charted on the Billboard Hot 100 (it "bubbled under" at 101, but it topped the R&B chart and peaked at #38 Disco). I didn't love this as much in the early '80s as I should have. Now a classic, being widely sampled in hip-hop music for the last 35+ years.

2 comments :

  1. I'm surprised you can resist/forget the keyboard hook on "Tragedy." I played it on the radio for maybe three weeks 30+ years ago and I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I undertook a project almost identical to your Megalist that lasted for about eight years (I took breaks from it). My dates of interest were June 76-May 86 (the first AT40 chart I wrote down was 6/5/76; 5/31/86 was the weekend after I graduated from college). I think that collection has about 2250 songs because I included all songs, not just those that peaked in the time frame. About two to three dozen I could find only on vinyl, including "Tragedy." I agree with you that it's not particularly good--the video is weak as well--but I also agree with Jim that it's hard to forget once heard (though I don't remember hearing it in 85).

    ReplyDelete