Friday, March 16, 2018

MFD Not-So-Random Five #3


In which I select five songs from 1976-1985 based on an arbitrary theme. (Not to be confused with this blog's Random Five feature, a different exercise in arbitrariness). Today's theme: Songs that begin with the chorus instead of a verse.


  1. "If You Want My Love" by Cheap Trick (1982, Epic)
    I have to believe that, deep down, every band wants to be The Beatles. Bands like Cheap Trick never hid that fact and this may be their most Beatlesque tune apart from their "Magical Mystery Tour" cover. (Heck, the middle eight cribs "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" almost verbatim). The melody doesn't do vocalist Robin Zander any favors, showing his limited range, but that chorus is so filled with hooks, I'll still be humming this one a week from now.

  2. "Good Times" by Chic (1979, Atlantic)
    One of the top songs of 1979, it's immediately recognizable and features Nile Rodgers' guitar scratching over what may be the most famous/duplicated bass lick of all-time from Bernard Edwards. I've heard it hundreds of times (if not thousands) and it's still as fresh to these old ears as it was when I was a thirteen year-old knucklehead. Oral history here:


  3. "We Built This City" by Starship (1985, Grunt/RCA)
    It's been increasingly hip to mock this song as one of the worst songs ever, but I can think of much worse. And that's all revisionist history BS anyway. Hell, yeah, we liked this rock anthem in 1985 - it was #1 for two weeks ferchrissakes. It was nominated for Grammy's Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group (losing to the homophobic "Money for Nothing").  I don't love it, but I can still tolerate it in the right playlist/mix (or in GTA V). I still hear it on the radio occasionally, so someone still likes it (or thinks we still like it, or a combination of the two).

  4. "Brick House" by Commodores (1977, Motown)
    I'm not sure if it would still work today, but this was a sure-fire dance floor filler during my favorite decade. Even over 40 years later, it's got me moving. Are the lyrics complimentary or misogynistic or both? It didn't matter to me back in '77 when I was eleven. Back then, I thought the lyrics were "she's my tomato" instead of "she's mighty, mighty" so what do I know about lyrics, anyway? But man-oh-man that opening bass line is the stuff.

  5. "Dancing Queen" by ABBA (1976, Atlantic)
    I've already written about this one in this post. Here's what I wrote then:
    I can say with absolute certainty this song was my favorite tune for several months in 1977 (probably the four months it was in the Top 40, if not longer). To this day, I still get up and dance at the sound of the initial piano glissando. When I saw Mamma Mia! on Broadway, the cast came out and sung this song as an encore and I was up grinning and dancing with a few hundred of my new closest friends. I'm told there are people that don't care for this disco classic, but I wouldn't want to know them.
    Last year. I ranked this single the #2 song of the year for 1977.


No comments :

Post a Comment