Thursday, March 22, 2018

Bracketology: 1978 Adult Contemporary singles, Finals


The semifinal results are in and the people have spoken:


So today's picks will leave at least 53% of you disappointed in me (it wouldn't be the first time).
  • Semifinal #1: Tough choice, but the 5 seed upsets the 1 seed. I'm hooked from the chromatic piano line that intros the song. Plus, Michael Johnson's voice is right in my range and I belt this one out every time I hear (which has gotten on my wife's last nerve this week). 11 year old me also loved the song because of misunderstood lyrics: I was seldom, if ever, alone in the house growing up, so being left alone in the house to run through it screaming would have been a joy in 1978.
  • Semifinal #2:  I've attached many memories to "Just the Way You Are" - my family's 1978 move, a trip to see Joel in 1984 with high school friends, playing an arrangement of the tune in high school jazz band, my mother telling me that she liked the tune (if that doesn't tip the scales, nothing could). Joel may not like it much, but I still love it. Plus, Phil Freakin' Woods.




Check back as we crown the champion.


No comments :

Post a Comment