Wednesday, January 31, 2018

MTV Playlist, Light Rotation, May 1983


A few days back, I posted a MTV Playlist as part of a look back at May 1983. As I glanced at that playlist, one band in particular caught my eye: Rail. I noticed them not for their band name or song ("Hello"), but rather for their label - they didn't have one. And down the rabbit hole I went. In my mind, I constructed a scenario in which a regional band makes their own video, submits it to MTV unsolicited, some MTV exec likes it, there's some under-the-table payola and yada yada yada, it makes the MTV playlist.


But then I watched the video and at the end appears the lovely Martha Quinn talking about The Basement Tapes. The Basement Tapes! I'd completely forgotten about that thing.


Unsigned bands would submit videos and viewers would vote by telephone. Rail was the first winner of Basement Tapes and that's why they're on the playlist. Anyhoo, here's an annotated/linked copy of the above playlist. Some big hits and some bigger misses in this pile as well and at least one hit that should have been a miss. (apologies to Bonnie T. - it's not you, it's me). And at least five songs I have no memory of ever hearing before today.

Artist
Clip
Album
PopRockAC
Iron Maiden Flight of Icarus Piece of Mind
8
Jim Capaldi 28
3
Gary Myrick
Language (EP)



Bonnie Tyler 1237
Rank & File

Todd Rundgren 6329
Ric Ocasek


Rail


Pete Shelley


Sylvester


Joan Armatrading 7833
ABC


Culture Club 2
6
Tears for Fears

Kix 104

Dexys Midnight Runners 86143
New Models
143


I would have sworn ABC's "All of My Heart" had been a single here in the US, but I would have lost that bet. Good new discoveries for me were the Sylvester and New Models tunes.

1 comment :

  1. I had no idea what The Basement Tapes was until I came across a song a couple years back called "Dog Police". (If you haven't clicked already, don't.)

    Eight great songs on this list for me:
    Flight Of Icarus
    Total Eclipse Of The Heart
    Bang On The Drum All Day
    Jimmy Jimmy
    Telephone Operator
    All Of My Heart
    Time (Clock Of The Heart)
    Mad World


    and the Rail and New Models tracks are new to me but I'm liking them. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete