Friday, May 5, 2017

MFD Random Five #19


In which I click the shuffle icon on the iTunes app and listen to the first five songs that pop up from the years 1976-85.


  1. "What A Day That Was" by Talking Heads (1984, Sire)
    A cut from the soundtrack of the best concert film. Ever. Not really a TH song, this originally appeared on David Byrne's side solo album/dance collaboration The Catherine Wheel (an album I've picked up from the rack and put back at least a dozen times). As with all songs from Stop Making Sense, I love it, but this one track is in the top half of that elite list. A high energy, danceable start to any shuffle.

  2. "This is Love" by Paul Anka (1978, RCA)
    I don't think I've ever heard this one before today - I must have picked up this file as part of my still incomplete Megalist project. According to my Whitburn books, this one peaked at #35 pop and #3 AC. And it's classic adult contemporary of the time with sweeping strings, electric piano and wordless backless vocals; it wouldn't be out of place on a Manilow album. There's nothing objectionable about it, just nothing memorable. (Hope I haven't just jinxed myself into having this running through my head all day.)

  3. "Soft Stuff (And Other Sweet Delights)" by Earl Klugh (1981, EMI)
    Except for an odd decision to use a vocoder, this is typical acoustic guitar smooth jazz from the master himself. I'm a big fan of Klugh so it should be no surprise that I dig this track. 

  4. "I'm Every Woman" by Chaka Khan (1978, Warner Bros.)
    Fantastic Ashford & Simpson disco cut. That string arrangement! I'll save you the embarrassing story of a 12 year old boy in West Texas singing these lyrics at the top of his lungs; I'm sure you can figure it out.

  5. "Imagine This" by Pieces Of A Dream (1983, Elektra)
    Bland title cut from the smooth jazz fusion group's third album. Not their best effort, but like the Anka cut, there's nothing particularly wrong with it. I wouldn't have picked it to finish out a Random Five.

1 comment :

  1. Totally agree about Stop Making Sense. I wasn't a huge fan of Talking Heads until a friend made me watch SMS. Needless to say I was blown away.

    ReplyDelete