Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Helen Reddy - I Can't Hear You No More (1976)

I Can't Hear You No More
b/w Music is My Life

Released: 1976 (Capitol)
Written by: Gerry Goffin and Carole King
Produced by: Joe Wissert
Album: Music, Music



Note: when I label a song a "Lost AT40 Single," I'm only speaking for myself.  Your mileage may vary.

So I'm listening to a rerun of the American Top 40 broadcast from August 21, 1976 and this song debuts in the #38 spot.  I either never heard the song in '76 or I'd forgotten all about it.

I've always associated Reddy with slower songs ("I Am Woman," "Angie Baby") with which young Mark had no interest. So when I hear this disco take on a '60s Goffin-King tune, I was pleasantly surprised. However, the novelty quickly passed as it turns out to be a catchy, but average disco tune that could use a bridge or solo of some sort.

The song ultimately spent 5 weeks in the Top 40, peaking at #29. It did much better on the Adult Contemporary charts, hitting #1 for the week of October 2. According to The Billboard Book of Number One Adult Contemporary Hits (1999), Reddy didn't even want to record the thing: "That was the record company really putting its foot down and saying, 'You have to have a disco hit.'"






and here's the original cut from 1964, which I would grade a solid B:


No comments :

Post a Comment