Wednesday, June 15, 2016

34 years ago this month


On Wednesday, June 9, 1982, I turned 16 years old and in my little part of the world, that meant drivers license and sweet freedom. And because I can be a packrat at times, I've still got my copy of the driving test results.




My score wasn't that great, but I could have gotten a 70 and still been happy.  I still don't know exactly what I did wrong on the test, because the state trooper that administered it was an old, grumpy mumbler who acted like he was being punished by being assigned to the Drivers License Division.  My ride was a '72 Ford Maverick with a sweet Pioneer tape deck but no A/C.  It was a hand-me-down from my father, who upgraded to a Ford Fairmont (I think I got the better of the deal).  It was quickly dubbed "The Markmobile" by my friends.

This thing had a huge V8 engine and drank up leaded gas. And that sums up Detroit in the '70s.
Nowadays, teenagers act entitled to a new car on their 16th birthday (enabled by their parents), but I was grateful to have a car and shared my good fortune by giving rides to my less fortunate friends whenever possible.  I never asked for gas money, but riders had to listen to whatever music I was interested in at the time. If they were lucky, they might get Van Halen or Asia, but I was known to subject my riders to Haircut 100, Maynard Ferguson, Spyro Gyra, and Jean-Luc Ponty at times. But what was the rabble listening to around this time? According to Billboard magazine, here were the chart-toppers around that magical date:

Top LP
Tug of War
Paul McCartney
Hot 100
"Ebony and Ivory"
Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder
Rock Album
Asia
Asia
Rock Track
"Heat of the Moment"
Asia
R&B Album
Original Musiquarium I
Stevie Wonder
R&B Single
"Let It Whip"
Dazz Band
Country Album
Always on My Mind
Willie Nelson
Country Single
"For All the Wrong Reasons"
The Bellamy Brothers
Adult Contemporary Single
"Ebony and Ivory"
Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder
Dance/Disco Single
"In the Name of Love" (12 inch)
Thompson Twins
Jazz Album
Breakin' Away
Al Jarreau
Inspirational Album
I Saw the Lord
Dallas Holm
Classical Album
Pachebel Canon
Academy of Ancient Music




Here's the top ten albums from Rolling Stone 371, June 10, 1982.  That's a heckuva list right there.





What else was happening in my little music world around that time? From 1978-1988, Houston and/or Dallas annually hosted the Texxas World Music Festival, more commonly known as the Texxas Jam. In 1982, it was held the weekend on June 12-13 in Dallas and Houston, respectively.



The Astrodome was about 75 miles from my house, but unfortunately my concert experiences wouldn't start for another year so that's not my ticket stub above. Still, I wouldn't have minded this show one bit:



Useless trivia: why the extra X in Texxas? Because its easier to trademark a name if it doesn't contain a "Geographical Indication." But also because it looks cool.

No comments :

Post a Comment