Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Bracketology: 1976 singles, Semifinals


Let's see how the quarterfinal match-ups panned out (for me, at least):
  • Quarterfinal #1: While I love the drumming of the incomparable Steve Gadd on Rhymin' Simon's hit, Sir Paul & Co. run away this match-up.  "Silly Love Songs" has been featured previously on this blog, receiving a grade of A.
  • Quarterfinal #2: The toughest battle of this round.  What we've got here is a couple of epic basslines.  I'm giving the edge to the Four Seasons for their characteristically wonderfully tight harmonies and the catchy-as-all-get-out chorus.
  • Quarterfinal #3: "Disco Lady" is a good song, but it's too slow for disco and too fast for a slow jam. "Kiss and Say Goodbye," on the other hand, was previously selected for my Greatest Slow Jam Mix Ever.  Haven't had the pleasure?  Here ya go:


  • Quarterfinal #4:  Don't get me wrong, I like that Miracles song as much as the next guy (although my wife inexplicably gets tired of me singing it to her), but "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" sounds as good today as it did 40 years ago.  It was #1 in more than ten countries and was played on my AM transistor radio that summer as often as the KRIG program director thought he could get away with,





Check back for the final round match-up.

No comments :

Post a Comment