Wednesday, November 11, 2015

MFD Random Five #4


In which I click the shuffle icon on the increasingly frustrating iTunes app and listen to the first five songs that pop up from the years 1976-85.


  1. "To You" by Wings (1979, Columbia)
    The Back to the Egg album wasn't great, but this little New Wave gem is hidden on side two. Reminds me of something by Bruce Woolley and The Camera Club with bizarre guitar solos.  

  2. "Taking the Town" by Icehouse (1984, Chrysalis)
    More New Wave goodness from Down Under.  Definitely the best track from the Sidewalk album, this single didn't make a splash in the US, but I enjoy it.  The song sounds like a mix of The Fixx and The Call while lead singer Iva Davies sounds like Wang Chung frontman Jack Hues (or is it the other way around?).  I didn't listen to Icehouse in the early '80s, but I've recently caught up.

  3. "Shake Your Rump to the Funk" by The Bar-Kays (1976, Mercury)
    Ten year old Mark loved this song and he definitely shook his rump to it (49 year old Mark may be shaking it now, but I admit to nothing).  After an aggressive intro, the verse is smooth and catchy, but it switches gears at the chorus and gets greasy with syncopation throughout the rhythm section and horns that give EWF a run for their money.

  4. "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by Elton John & Kiki Dee (1976, MCA)
    This was young Mark's favorite song of the time and he wasn't alone as it topped charts worldwide in the bicentennial summer of '76.  A disco knock-off of Philly Soul, it still works for this guy today.  I just sang along to every word.

  5. "Reunited" by Peaches & Herb (1978, Polydor)
    This song has already appeared on this blog in this post.  Here's what I wrote then: "Man-oh-man this is one sweet slow jam. Many a junior high slow dance was enjoyed to this one. Ah, good times. It spent 4 weeks at #1 back in May. It also topped the R&B chart for weeks and reached #4 on the adult contemporary chart. If you don't mind, I'm gonna hit the rwd button and listen to this one again."  I still agree.

1 comment :

  1. This was another great random run with Icehouse being the weakest link.

    My "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" story can be found HERE.

    ReplyDelete