Sunday, September 21, 2014

Earth, Wind & Fire - September (1978)

September
b/w Love's Holiday

Released: November 18, 1978 (ARC)
Written by: Maurice White, Al McKay, Allee Willis
Produced by: Maurice White
Album: The Best of Earth, Wind & Fire, Vol. 1

 U. S. Billboard Charts:
 Hot 100 8
 Adult Contemporary 41
 R&B 1


Not only do I never get tired of hearing this song, but when it comes on the radio, I turn up the volume and start dancing.  I've used it as my ringtone and everybody around me smiles when my phone rings.  I have absolutely no idea what this song is about and its connection to the month of September and I don't care.  (If you want to know what songwriter Allee Willis thinks, check out this feature from NPR.)  The horns, the vocals, the melody, it all works - it makes me feel good.  Simply put, this song is one of the greatest songs of the '70s and easily my favorite song by EWF.  Now that I've heard it once again, I will probably listen to it 5 - 10 more times before calling it a day.





1 comment :