Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Texas Leg of The Sex Pistols' 1978 U.S. Tour Revisited


Over the course of 10 days in early 1978, The Sex Pistols played their only dates in the U.S.  I was 11 at the time and didn't make any of the shows (I'm not sure I had even heard of the group, to be honest).  35 years later, I visited two of the venues the band played.

Here are the band's U.S. tour dates:
  • January 5, 1978: Great Southeast Music Hall, Atlanta
  • January 6, 1978: Taliesyn Ballroom, Memphis
  • January 8, 1978: Randy's Rodeo, San Antonio
  • January 9, 1978: Kingfish Club, Baton Rouge
  • January 10, 1978: Longhorn Ballroom, Dallas
  • January 12, 1978: Cain's Ballroom, Tulsa
  • January 14, 1978: Winterland, San Francisco


On March 13, 2013, I visited what was once Randy's Rodeo in San Antonio. At that time, the building housed a bingo parlor on one end and the St. George Maronite Catholic Church on the other.  Click pictures to enlarge.




On March 24, 2013, I visited the Longhorn Ballroom near downtown Dallas. According to the Dallas Observer, Sex Pistols tickets were $3.50 back in '78.  I saw no signs of life, but I think they occasionally host swap meets at that location.  Don't quote me on that, though.





I was in Memphis in June and it never crossed my mind to look for the Taliesyn Ballroom (I hear there's a Taco Bell there now?).  I was too busy concentrating on getting to Rendezvous for some BBQ, I guess.  Next time.

1 comment :

  1. This is kind of a cool and imaginative yet ultimately sad post.

    One of the venues where I saw many concerts during the Eighties and early Nineties, Compton Terrace, finally disappeared without a trace earlier this year. The stage was demolished in 2010 and the grounds turned into a motocross track but the sign stayed up alongside I-10 until November of this year.

    ReplyDelete