Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Kim Carnes - More Love (1980)

More Love
b/w Changin'

Released: May 1980 (EMI)
Written by: Smokey Robinson
Produced by: George Tobin in association with Mike Piccirillo
Album: Romance Dance

 U. S. Billboard Charts:
 Hot 100 10
 Adult Contemporary 6



Carnes will forever be known for her #1 smash hit Bette Davis Eyes, released in 1981.  However, my favorite Carnes tune is this earlier single, a cover of a 1967 tune originally recorded by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.  Starting with fantastic source material from Robinson, whoever arranged this single did a fantastic job of updating the sound, combining the popular emerging synth sounds with the tried-and-true disco strings of the time.  To be honest, when I was digging this song back in 1980, I had absolutely no idea it was a cover.

The saxophone solo is performed by Raphael Ravenscroft, an English session musician who also played the iconic intro to Gerry Rafferty's 1978 single, Baker Street.

I never purchased this 45.  For whatever reason, this particular single didn't get much airplay on the Houston area stations I listened to, so the only time I got to hear it was when Casey Kasem rolled it out each week on AT40.  But being a resourceful dude, I recorded AT40 each week direct from AM radio to cassette.  My only mistake was recording over the same tape each weekend.





and, if you're interested in the original:

No comments :

Post a Comment