Thursday, March 24, 2016

MFD Random Five #7


In which I click the shuffle icon on the increasingly frustrating iTunes app and listen to the first five songs that pop up from the years 1976-85.


  1. "How Much Longer" by Alternative TV (1977, Deptford Fun City)
    This tune is part of the 1-2-3-4 Punk & New Wave 1976-1979 box set.  Typical punk fare: three chords and angry lyrics. Judging from how much the song speeds up during the track, this was probably a one-take DIY joint. Not bad for what it is, but not something I'd seek out. 

  2. "In My Dreams" by Tom Scott (1981, Columbia)
    A slow track from my first favorite jazz album, Apple Juice. Scott plays Lyricon on this one, guitarist Eric Gale gets a solo, and Richard Tee fills in the rest on Fender Rhodes.  So good I'm going to have to listen to the whole album sometime today.  The only question is vinyl or CD?

  3. "We're Desperate" by X (1981, Slash)
    From Brit punk to California punk. A much better track than the earlier Alternative TV offering. I love listening to X when I'm angry and frustrated, but I'm neither this morning so I'll be moving right along.

  4. "My Baby's Got E.S.P." by Four Below Zero (1976, Roulette)
    Not a bad soul song with lotsa disco hi-hat.  Reminds me a little of The Spinners' "I'll Be Around" but holds its own.  I found this one on the enjoyable Super Rare Disco, Vol. 1 compilation.

  5. "Lonesome Loser" by Little River Band (1979, Capitol)
    An 8th grade AM radio classic from the a capella open to the guitar solo.  Love the close harmonies and syncopated groove.  Good stuff and its not even the LRB's best!

No comments :

Post a Comment