Sunday, July 6, 2014

Starting tomorrow: Countdown of the top singles of 1982


Earlier this year, I put together a list of the top 82 albums of 1982, which around these parts is considered to be the best year ever for pop music.  Now it's time to turn our attention to the top 82 singles of 1982.  (Because I'm lazy, I'll be using the same "82 of '82" graphic for the singles list that I used for the albums list even though it's clearly not a single in the picture).


Here's how I came up with my list: using Joel Whitburn's book, Pop Annual 1955-1999 (a thoughtful gift from Herc, a friend o' the blog), I started with the 424 singles that peaked on Billboard Magazine's Hot 100 chart in 1982.  An initial pass through that list narrowed it down to 116.  Titles of those songs were written on index cards and the listening, ranking, and editing began.  Starting tomorrow, look for the results in a countdown series of posts.

No comments :

Post a Comment